May 3, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

On this date 10 years ago,
I graduated from college.


And today the final payment on my student loans was automatically withdrawn from our checking account.



At this moment, paying off this debt feels like a greater accomplishment than graduating from college. 

And I can't help but think of one of my favorite lines from NBC's 30 Rock
"I feel as useless as a mom's college degree." Kenneth Parcell
To my defense, my degree is in elementary education, so as a mom it hasn't been completely useless, but either way, as of today, the debt is paid in full!

"Pomp and Circumstance" has been playing in my mind since I woke up this morning.  I think I'll go find a frame and some wall space for my diploma.

(Mom, can you please find my diploma and mail it to me?  I think it is in a box under the bed upstairs- maybe with Stefano's magazine.)







  

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow!! Hard to believe it's been 10 years! Good job on graduating college and on paying off student loans! Woohoo!!!! :)

Just Me said...

Super Congrats on the student loan payoff.... and the ten year anniversary. I see you using your degree every day helping Joe with his homework and being a great mom.

Anonymous said...

First of all...CONGRATS!!!! Second of all...I was there!!!!! I was there with a baby Kennedy on my lap!!! She was saying lots of jibber jabber through the whole ceremony! I remember being so proud of you!! BTW...still am...in fact, more than ever!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was just reminding Tanner of your graduation...he was 5 :), he said he remembers it completely including that you wore crayons on your head! HAHA! I just looked closer at the pictures and he was right!

Molly Andersson said...

I'll look for your diploma :) I was there 10 years ago! Rubbing sunscreen on tanners ears :) Congrats sister!! That is quite the accomplishment :)

Wilson Girlzz said...

Oh Yeah!! (in my best Vector voice!)

What a great celebration weekend that was!!

I'm super happy you are free of one payment in your life - pretty awesome stuff!!

The Browns said...

Congrats! And what a weight off her shoulders to be done with those payments;)