"You should whip out a blog," my husband tells me.
"I don't know what to write about," I whine.
"Well, we'll think of something. How about..." Devon, always a problem-solver, begins to make suggestions.
I stop him to tell him of something funny that happened while I was in the bath tub with Lucy and Max this evening. He quickly decides that this story is an over share, and my mom confirms that, yes, indeed, my story is kind of gross.
His suggestions continue as I think to myself when did Devon become my blog manager?
After two years, I am still not quite sure of how often I ought to post and how much I ought to share about our lives. It seems that Devon is more enlightened on how often and how much, so perhaps it is good that he has become my manager!
We didn't think of any blog-worthy topics, so what I have to offer you is a whole lotta nothin'!
Such as...
My manager is currently driving through the falling snow on a quest for Ben & Jerry's.
My mom is here visiting, and Lucy has slept with her every night. "I want a sleep-over with Tutu!" she pleads.
Lucy's birthday is on Friday, and she is turning four years old (sad! sad!).
I was inspired by this lovely blog (jones design company) to "live where I live." I took this inspiration to mean that rather than keep our walls blank because I don't want to deal with patching nail holes once we move out of this wonderful rental house, I should hang our pictures and mirrors and my "R" collection, because we live here! This space should be homey and reflect us, and I'll deal with the nail holes later. So, I've been hanging stuff :) Nothing really exciting to show, yet. But see this wall? This is my big challenge. Wish me luck!
Oh, and I have sad news, crafty friends. I so desperately want to be like you, and you make it look so easy, as if I, too, could create such cute things with just the right tools and supplies. And I like to believe that I have it somewhere within me. "It" being craftiness. Well, my mom and I went to Michaels today, and my sad news is that I don't like Michaels- not even a little bit. It overwhelms me. It stresses me out. Rather than inspire, it stifles. My mom said, "Wow. This store wears you out? That is the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do. You're weird." I suppose that for normal people, when entering a craft store like Michaels, one envisions finished projects. I don't. I only see rubber stamps, paper, glitter, and scissors with cool shaped blades. In my mind, I don't see the pretty handmade cards that these supplies produce. What is wrong with me?
For real, Michaels knocked the wind out of me. So much so that I couldn't bear to go to Costco, which was the purpose of our outing. I'd lost all motivation.
Anyway, maybe some of you can relate to this- Max and Lucy have toys in their bedroom upstairs, but since we spend most of our time downstairs, I am constantly looking for better ways to store their toys downstairs. Baskets? Coat closet? Storage chest? No matter how I organize them or store them, at the end of the day, it is a big mess. Today I separated the Little People from the Disney characters, and the cars from the movie Cars were separated from the Hot Wheel cars, and the Toy Story figures received their own little basket because Woody and Buzz need to be accessible at all times. I felt pretty confident about my toy-sorting, and when I gave Devon the tour of where to find Princess Jasmine or Lightening McQueen, he laughed! He said that the baskets will never stay sorted. He is right :(
See, I meant what I said- a whole lotta nothin'.

9 comments:
Don't worry, I'm not crafty at all!!! Michael's just reminds me of all the things I can't turn into something amazing and creative. Andrea and Lisa just happen to be on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe, someday they will eventually rub off on us a little;)
As for the toys...I've seen these really cool dresser-like-basket-holders...I think there are three levels with three big baskets each. They are open, so the kids can easily find their toys...but away enough to make you happy. I think they have them at Target or Ikea. Our toy room is a disaster though...so I may not have the best suggestions;)
Oh Annie! You are such a good writer! You crack me up! I can't believe we simultaneously posted contradicting posts:))))! This post had me laughing from start to finish!
First, I really want to know the gross inappropriate story! What does that say about me? Just call me later would ya? :)
Second, I think Devon has made an excellent manager through the years and a sounding board especially before my blog was primarily photos was always a good thing!
Third, I love the thought of Lucy getting to snuggle up every night with your Mom! It is so so so sad that she will be four!!!! :(
Finally, on the crafting front, that was too funny. I am so sorry that you and Michael's did not bond! It even ruined your Costco hopes! :) I promise to send you a couple of "kits" (Andrea, you could help with this :)) of fail proof ready to make crafts for the house. Or if it is still too much, I will just keep sending you completed ones!
You so funny Annie! Love you!
Darn, I have to figure out how to get out of Tanner's computer class sign in name! :)
I think that we have about 3 things up on our walls (one being a bulletin board, which really doesn't count at "decor"), so I can symapthize! And we've been here for well over a year :)
And I definitely feel your pain about the yoys! I hit the Container Store after Christmas and I think that my plan lasted all of, well, 2 days maybe? I've resorted to shoving the toys into our trunk/coffee table - out of sight, out of mind!
Your whole lotta nothin' made for some enjoyable reading...see you have a gift with words, and I have a gift with glue. I wish I had your abilities to write. I think being able to write like you would be way cooler than being able to cut neat things out of paper :o)
I've always been envious of your skillzzzz!
And, my friend, that wall is h-u-g-e and very similar to a wall in our house that haunts me. I have a hard time filling the space withouth cluttering the space. I'm excited to see what you come up with. If you need a new "R" I have a project (only 3 ingredients) that would be a lovely accent to the green lamp (which I totally dig by the way!)
This comment is getting long, long, long sorry - but I do want to hear the TMI tubby story too!
I used to drive my girls crazy when they were little about organizing their toys. (I think I even turned into 'Mommy Dearest' more than a few times!)I am only offering to you to not worry so much about an organized house. Creative kids are at play!
For the record I did not say "you're weird!" I said "that's weird!" totally different!!! I am only recently embracing my inner Martha Stewart :)
Annie, don't worry about crafts. You are one of the more creative people I know. You show it every day (my wish) in your blog. You show it in the way you do your house, your clothes, your gifts, your mothering. So crafts? Forgeddaboutit!
Now, we all want to hear about the TMI incident.
And Leslie, I believe you :-) Our kids take everything sooo personally even if we didn't say it or mean it that way. Just part of the territory.
Hahahahaha....thanks Donna! And Annie, I totally agree you are EXTREMELY talented! love you!
Post a Comment