June 21, 2010

A Recent Discovery

Moments ago, as I was changing Max's diaper with Lucy at my side, just as we always do, several times a day, Lucy asked, "What is that, Mama?"
"What is what?"
"What is that thing on Max's booty?"
"Nothing is on his booty."
"Yes there is.  What is that?"

Wow, she is just now noticing his, well, you know, his wee-wee??  Now?  Really?
I put on my big-girl-pants (so to speak) and without hesitation answered, "That is his penis, Lucy.  You don't have one because you are not a boy."

There, I said it!  P-e-n-i-s.  Penis.

"I am not a boy!  I am a girl!"
"That is what I said, Lucy.  You are not a boy."

And that was that.

I feel as though there should be a line somewhere in Lucy's baby book (yes, the one that is pretty much empty and unused, but nonetheless...) that would record the date for Discovered the Anatomical Differences Between Boys and Girls.  It would read today's date!

*fortunately, I do not have a photo to illustrate this story, so this one of them playing with baby-dolls will have to do :)

8 comments:

Leslie said...

omg!! so funny! way to go mom :)

Allison said...

I was cringing the entire way through that! Good job answering the very obvious but awkward question!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

ANNIE! You are so funny and this picture is one of my favorites!!!

OMGSH, I am a big believer in full disclosure (age appropriate of course) but for some reason we say wiener instead of penis. Go figure :)!?

You handled it beautifully!

Michele Woods said...

after reading your blog tonight, LOL I read dreamingbigdream.net Janie Ivey, the wife of christian music artist Aaron Ivey, one of her topics is the"almost sex talk to her 6 year old son" What is it about Penis's today.

Wilson Girlzz said...

oh, THAT word is super hard for me to say too!!

That's super funny and I'm glad to know Lucy is a girl...and don't you forget it mama! :o)

Katie said...

As you well know... I got over the awkwardness saying PENIS a long time ago. But the V word still haunts me!

PENIS PENIS PENIS!!!

Just Me said...

VERY good job, Mom! I laughed so on this one. I knew what was coming and yet...I too could not believe she just now realized a "what is that on Max's booty?" Oh, Lucy, Lucy, you are growing up so fast!

comfy cozy said...

Oh Annie! You crack me up! I had a sneaking suspicion with Lucy's question that it was headed "there." Good for you, Mama! I'm proud of you for wearing your big girl undies! :)

We've used both the "V" and the "P" word around here from the get. The "V" word always bothered me because it just sounds so, um, strong and technical. But believe it or not, it now just kinda rolls off the tongue.

And yes, I think there should be that section in baby books...it's pretty monumental! Little Lucy is getting to be such a big girl!