May 28, 2010

Papa Miller

My Papa Miller passed away today.

He died naturally- his body was simply finished- and when he passed, most of his children were at his bedside. I think that there is something poetic about being at a parent's bedside when a final breath is taken. My dad was present for both his mother's and his father's final breath, just as they were both there for his first breath.

The last time that I visited with my Papa was on Thanksgiving, over 5 years ago. Even then, he wasn't quite the same Papa that I knew when I was a child. He seemed a bit absent, and perhaps this is when I said goodbye to him, knowing in my heart that I would not see him again in this life.

Papa never met my husband. He never met any of my children, though it makes me happy to know that Pascal Coy Miller will forever fill a branch on their family tree. And if they ever happen to ask about him, I will be pleased to tell them that Papa always had a freezer stocked with Jello Pudding Pops. He called Nana "Mama". He would covertly give me and my brothers cash by folding a bill into a small square and then passing it to us through hand-shakes. He would sing silly songs and make up rhymes, like once at a family function at the country club pool, he asked, "Annie? Would you be so bold, to fetch my shoes? My feet are cold!" He would drive Nana to the mall but then he would stay in the car and sleep while she shopped. He would take us out to eat at Humpty Dumpty, and we would ride in the front seat of his blue Buick, listening to folk music. He would do silly dances, and he would watch TV from his big reclining chair.

When I was a teenager, before I could drive, Papa once gave me a ride home from my job at Mark Sports. He took me out to dinner after my shift, and he cried as he told me how much he missed "Mama". I remember thinking I never want to be this sad. Tonight, he is in Heaven with Nana, and he is with the Creator, and I am confident that he is not sad, not at all.

7 comments:

comfy cozy said...

What a sweet post, Annie. I'm so sorry your papa passed on and I hope that your dad is finding comfort in knowing that he truly is in a better place.

Saying goodbye to a parent (for now anyways, until Heaven) has to be the single hardest thing next to losing a child.

May you all find peace in knowing he lived a long and full life.

P.S. My grandpa used to do the same thing with money...so sweet and such a grandpa-y thing to do.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh Annie, what a perfect tribute...so so sorry for you and your family. I love the sweet stories of you and your Papa. Love you!

Molly Andersson said...

sissy i am in tears! i didnt have the chance to know him as well as you adam and seth... but i have fond memories as well! always sneaking us snickers bars, always making up little songs! we have the video of my first birthday and there he is singing something about me turning one! and going over to visit him and singing folk songs to him with dad! I went with dad to visit him on tuesday this week.. they said he wasnt doing well so i wanted to say goodbye and got to tell him i love him... Dad brought pictures of your kids and Adams kids and you and your babies and even one of me and aaron :) but papa fell asleep before we could show him.. but i must admit i did get a little teary eyed when in the corner of his pretty much empty room with bare walls.. was a bulliten board with pictures of his family including one of all of us in palm springs when lucy was a baby and one of seth pitching in college :)

Allison said...

Annie! I am so sorry! I hope that your dad is doing ok with the passing of his father. My prayers are with yall. Love you!

Just Me said...

Annie, I am so sorry for you and your family. I too was there for the last breath of my mother and dad. I was so grateful I was there. Right after my mom passed there was thunder and lightning, and it poured down rain on the way home. For those who had known her it was appropriate, as if she had met God at the pearly gates.

Anyway, I am glad you have such sweet memories of him.

Jacqui Lott said...

Annie, I'm sorry for you and your family's loss. What beautiful memories you have of him. Sounds like he had a fulfilling life and will be a gift to heaven.

Wilson Girlzz said...

Hi buddy - I'm so sorry.
I really love your way with words and though crying, I enjoyed reading every moment of your sweet post and special memories of Papa Miller.

My thoughts will be with you and your family, and I am certain too that Papa Miller is probably much happier and enjoying his wonderful company.