November 11, 2009

Operation Christmas Child

Today the kids and I set out on a shopping adventure. We were shopping for items to fill shoe boxes that will be sent to underprivileged children in another part of the world.

One Sunday at church, we saw an Operation Christmas Child film of how these boxes are collected, shipped, and distributed to various areas, and then eventually handed to children who have lined up to receive their gift- perhaps the only gift that they will receive at all! You can imagine the delight on their faces as they showed off their new toothbrushes, toys, pencils, etc. It certainly made us feel like we are so very spoiled! We truly are spoiled, but lets use the word "blessed" instead because it sounds better :)


Anyway, Joe put a lot of thought into each item that he selected for "his boy", and though Lucy took a while to understand that these gifts would not be for her, she eventually caught on and began helping find things for "her girl."


If you are interested in filling a shoe box for a boy or girl, you can find info at www.samaritanspurse.org/occ. There are many drop-off locations all over the country, and the final collections will be on November 23rd!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I remember doing those with you and your sibs. Such a good lesson about giving for your kids, good job mama!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Blessed does sound better than spoiled! I like the spin! Annie, huge props to you!!! What a good Momma! I am inspired to do it every year and I must shamefully report that I have never done it!

I love the image of Lulu figuring out that these items were for "her girl"!

comfy cozy said...

Yes, GOOD job mama!! You are raising them up right!! :)

We went over the same thing last Sunday and it really is so humbling to know that the children appreciate so very little so very much. Did that make any sense?! Yet another reminder of how "blessed" we are. It definitely also reminded me to try to scale back a bit too!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Priceless!
I love the idea and am so happy you shared. We don't have a ton of denaro to throw around for donations this season, but this seems reasonable and it would be fun to take the girls shopping.

That picture of Joe and Lucy is too cute! I wish the kids who receive those 2 packages could only know how special their little gift givers are ;o)

Just Me said...

So cute, the little "fat boy" is lookin good. I was so glad I got to see him try to climb up the stairs. Great for Lu and Joe to give to "their" kids!