
As I was shopping for Easter basket stuff last week, I came across this book, and I recognized it as a book that I had when I was little. I thought Lucy might like it, because she likes to play with dolls, and I thought that maybe with a little brother arriving soon, it would be good to encourage her role as a little mommy (or maybe not! My little brothers might feel that I needed NO encouragement to play any motherly role in their lives!).
As I read the book to Lucy yesterday, I realized how outdated it is! The copyright is from 1967.
The "Little Mommy" in the book has three dolls that are her "children," and she takes care of them all day while "Billy is Daddy; he works in the city. He has a new car. Isn't it pretty?" Mommy's day closely resembles my own, "I do the dishes and sweep the floor, and wipe the fingerprints off the door...I wash the clothes in my washing machine. I scrub them with soap and rinse them clean..." Keep in mind that the "washing machine" is some sort of wooden bucket filled with water and one of those crank-things.
I felt a bit of regret for purchasing this book-- like maybe I should also find Lucy a book that tells the story of how a girl can also be a doctor, or a lawyer, or an entrepreneur, or a writer, or, like "Billy", she too can work in the city with a pretty new car!
This morning I was sitting at the table paying bills online, and I looked up to see what Lucy was doing-- she had been back and forth between the kitchen and the living room, and she was carrying on a conversation, and she seemed very busy. She was taking dish towels and using them as blankets for her doll. She was tucking her doll into a nap, telling her, "You will be nice and warm! Go to sleep!"
It was such a sweet sight, and she caught me watching her, so she asked, "Mama, are you done with your 'puter?" Of course, I immediately got up from the table and wanted to be a part of her game. She told me to go to the couch and take a little nap. She then began to cover me with dish towels, and she made several trips to the kitchen for more dish towels, and when she ran out of them, she came back with oven mitts. I wish that I had a picture of myself sprawled on the sofa covered in small, colorful towels! She kissed me on the forehead and told me to close my eyes. I nearly fell asleep before she pulled all of the towels off and was ready to play another game.
I love watching Lucy as a "little mommy."
There will be plenty of time to encourage her in other areas or career aspirations, but for now, I think I'll wait a while before I fold the dish towels and put them away, in case she wants to play with them again!
There is no shame in being a mommy :)
4 comments:
No shame whatsoever! And Lucy will surely make the best mommy someday! I mean, just look at her already taking such good care of her babies and her own mommy! I thoroughly loved and appreciated the peek inside the Rantz home; Lucy is such a sweetie. Yes, too bad we didn't have a pic of you covered up so colorfully!
I concur that there will be days ahead when you can encourage Ms. Lucy to be a doctor. Until then, her reading "Little Mommy" is just fine! :)
Does anyone else think that Lucy is just the spitting image of Annie in this picture?!
Annie you are so funny! I really want to go out and get that book! I have absolutely no problem with the lack of feminism in the story line! It is priceless! :) I have no doubt that Lucy will go out and conquer the world just like her Momma did!
Okay I sooo wish you had pictures of the dish towel blanket that Lucy sent you off to slumber in! So precious!!!
I better get off my "puter" right now! I think I will have to call it that from now on!
You are teaching her nurturing and everyone needs those lessons. To teach it early is a blessing she is getting from her nurturing mommy who is a perfect role model. I wish I could have seen you covered in dish towels and oven mitts. (She must have needed quite a few to cover your pg body.) She is so cute! She sure does carry on conversations and uses big words for a two year old. She is so smart.
Gosh, do you and Lu get any cuter? From the picture to the image of you lying on the couch covered in dish towels and oven mits, I'm loving this blog!
"Little Mommy" does look a little 'vintage' but you know, I have to agree with everyone else, there's enough time later in life to encourage the successful, independent Lucy - think of this as her foundation - a good, solid foundation!
Post a Comment