April 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's very special birthday, and though I usually like to be with her on her special day, I hope that she is having fun without me :)

Mom, you have taught me so much about being a mom. Right after I married Devon and became a mom to Joseph, I remember calling you, in tears, asking, "HEY, why didn't you tell me that this is such a thankless job!?" You could have lamented with me, but I remember you encouraging me and telling me that there is just something about being a mom that is so rewarding, and so fulfilling, and so important, and that you wouldn't have traded it for anything. Those are big words coming from someone who has mothered 4 kids-- each one distinctly different than the next, each with different challenges!

I realize that today isn't Mother's Day, but because the majority of your 50 years have been devoted to your family, I feel that it is worth celebrating your success as a mom and wife.

I love that you are close with each of us-- me, Adam, Seth and Molly.

I love that you are such a thoughtful Graham Cracker/Tutu.

I love that my husband thinks that "You rock!" when most son-in-laws wince at the thought of a mother-in-law!

I love that after 30 years of marriage, you and dad still go on dates, hold hands and kiss in public (though this was mortifying when I was around 14 years old!), and are a great example of marriage.

I love that you have traveled so much. I love that we've seen Israel and Europe together, and I will always look forward to our Palm Springs trips. I have inherited your wanderlust, and I hope that we can have many more trips together.

I love that you are my best friend, and that it completely frustrates me when I can't immediately reach you on the phone EVERY TIME THAT I NEED YOU!

It is okay if Max isn't born today, because you deserve your own day!

I love you very much! Happy birthday!




























































"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value... She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed." Proverbs 31
"Where your pleasure is, there is your treasure;
Where your treasure, there your heart;
Where your heart, there your happiness."
Saint Augustine



5 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Sweet, Annie. Really sweet. It sounds like you are both blessed to have each other! I love your tribute! I always say that I only hope that I can be half as good of a mom as my mom is- I'm sure you can agree! I love all the family pics too, especially the silly faces one- it just shows how much fun the Millers are!

Just Me said...

WOW! What a tribute to your mom who deserves it for sure. Happy birthday Leslie!

Leslie said...

Shucks...I'm speechless!!! Wow, I am not sure what to say.......how can I thank you enough? That has to be the sweetest thing anyone has ever said about me. Actually your blog has made all the stretchmarks, spider veins, weird rashes, being broke, sleepless nights and the last 30 years pretty much raising children and the last 50 years breathing so, so, so worth it. Boy, what a sweet girl I have : ) Just so you know, I LOVE seeing the world with you. I will forever treasure putting stones on Corrie Ten Booms and Oskar Shindlers memorials, splashing in Mediterranian Sea in Caesaria, covering ourselves in mud from the Dead Sea, our dumb and dumber moments in London, eating American food and walking EVERYWHERE in Paris, and best of all you calling me from Venice to join you on your backpacking trip through Europe. I mean really..... how lucky am I???? I love you so much and have always been so proud to be your mama.
P.S. See you tomorrow!

Wilson Girlzz said...

I'm CRYING!!!
I love BOTH you and Weswie!!

Leslie, you are by far the hottest TuTu I know! I can't belive your 50! You give us all something to aspire to :o)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

AAAAWWWWW gush gush mush mush nub nub!!! This is the sweetest post ever! I can only hope that my children will love me this much and actually want to spend their time with me as an adult! Truly a testament to your parenting Leslie!

I have to say Leslie's comment was just as touching as Annie's post! This is true love!

The pictures are some of my favorites! I really could have used a Momma and baby Annie pic though :)!

So glad that you two will be together today! Love you both!