Happy New Year (eight days late)!!
So, I've been trying to avoid writing a year-end wrap-up post. I'm not sure that there is much left to say about 2011. It was a tough one. I'm glad it is over! I'm more ready than ever before to put a year in the past and move on!
Not that there wasn't plenty of notable goodness in the past 12 months, such as (in no particular order) my weekend getaway to San Diego with a couple of my favorite girls, and Kelly and Bryan's wedding, and our 6th wedding anniversary, and our family photo session with 7of June, and our summer adventures with Katie and her boys, and all of our time spent at Merry's... just to name a few. We have plenty of good memories from 2011, and as I scan the archives of this blog, I realize how grateful I am for this medium used to document our lives. As I've confessed before, I never, ever print photos and put them in photo albums. And I've completely failed at creating baby books or any kind of scrapbook to record any baby milestones, etc. However, I've got this blog. So I've just decided that my goal for the new year is to continue writing, even when I don't have anything to write about and even when my photos are fuzzy.
Over the past week, I've found myself thinking I should exercise, I should post a blog, I should go to church, I should grocery shop. I should brush my hair and change out of my pajamas. Where is my motivational kick in the buns that usually accompanies a new year?? Maybe my motivation took a week off, and tomorrow is a new start. Should will be shall.
There is a quote that I've been wanting to share, but I haven't been sure how to tie it in with a topic. I guess it relates to heartbreak- heartbreak of any variation. In 2011, our hearts were broken a bit over what we thought was "Our Plan". We all make plans for our lives, right? We have a big picture idea of what our lives look like and where we are heading- a trajectory path to follow. Our Plan became "Plan B". And then "Plan C". And next onto "Plan D". And you can guess where I'm going with this; we are learning to not place our hopes on our plans but rather to seek God's will for our lives, to not dwell on our idea of what might have been, and to be so grateful for the lessons we learn. The easy lessons as well as the difficult lessons, but especially the difficult ones, I suppose. And 2011 was full of lessons, and I have a feeling that 2012 is going to take us to school too!
Anyway, here is the quote that caught my attention-
"While it's often fashionable to dwell upon what might have been, what's usually overlooked is that really and truly, it couldn't have. Because, invariably, any romanticized versions of how things "might have been," are based upon fictionalized versions of the past. Most of the time when people think the present could have been different than it is, it's because they think the past was different than it was. Happily, the future can still be anything, when you surrender to the details." ~The Universe
Who is this Universe character anyway? (No, seriously, I don't know where this quote came from.)
With that, cheers to a happy New Year, to more blogging, to motivation, and to Plan D!
6 comments:
A new blog! I am so happy!
I love the quote. I find the version of the past that was is often accompanied by "it coulda been this way or that way if I had done this or that" which leads to guilt. The facts of course are that we did what we did then with the best knowledge we had at the time. We are really doing the best we can with what we have to work with at any given time. It may look like a mistake later but if we had known it was at the time we would not have done it the way we did. Well, you get it. And of course we can never control or predict someone else's perspectives or actions.
The most important thing is we learn and refresh our view of our options.
Cheers to a happy new year and some fresh perspective. I have decided to keep a journal of what I am grateful for and each day I will write something down. I am hopeful it changes my "tone" and am looking forward to reading back once the year is over.
I'm happy your blog will carry on! I LOVE reading!!
Oh gosh... Today I am grateful for your blogging!! YES!! :)
Well said Annie. I love you, this blog, and well everything about what you wrote. I haven't finished my coffee yet and Henry was up the entire night so that's as deep as my brain will allow! :) 2012 welcomes you! I am such a dork!!!
Oh and that 7 of June lady loves that she made your list! :)
Wow!! Great quote and yes, who is this universe character?! You are such a trooper and I'm in awe of how positive you are.
Love and miss you
I find it funny that "the universe" wrote that quote too, but whomever they are-I like it. I too find myself sometimes caught up in the fictionalized version of myself in my "plan A..B..C..D" I can totally relate to it.
Cheers to more blogs and to a great 2012!
Post a Comment