January 14, 2012

Five!

5 years ago my baby girl was born.
5 years ago I became a mama.
And though it is becoming an annual tradition for me to lament about how sad I feel on Lucy's birthday because time is passing too quickly and my baby is growing too big, I think I'll mix it up this year and just focus on the lovely lady who is now a "whole hand"- that's right, 5 full fingers.


The birthday extravaganza began on Friday at Lucy's school.  She was the Little Miracle and got to wear a special birthday crown.  And she also got to bring a special sugary treat- strawberry, marshmallow, donut-hole kabobs!


For her party this year, I decided to go easy on myself and keep it small and simple. 


We invited three of Lucy's closest friends to come over for a Barbie themed party, and Lucy requested that they all dress in formal dress-up attire.




My mom was here visiting this week, and she was a big help in the party-planning.


And Aunt Merry made a masterpiece of a birthday cake.  Seriously, it was a work of art- the photos don't quite do it justice.  And it was yummy too!



And we did some finger-nail painting.


And Lucy opened gifts,


while the rest of us politely watched,


except for Max, who was all up in Lucy's personal space, trying to help her unwrap the gifts and trying to get his hands on all of Lucy's loot.  Finally Lucy made it clear, "Max! I don't need your help!" And with that, Max swung his arm and landed his hand open-palm right across Lucy's cheek.  It was like a scene from a movie- the open-palmed face slap, with the perfect slap sound.  The room was silent.  If you've ever parented in front of a crowd, you know that it isn't an ideal situation.  I wasn't sure what to do- remove Max from the room and discipline him, or give Lucy a big hug and make sure that she is okay.  So I just grabbed both kids, told Max that he was in trouble, and then said, "Oh, how I wish I'd caught that on video!"  It was so appalling and awkward that it would have made for great home-video footage so that years from now we could watch it and say Remember when Max slapped Lucy across the face on her 5th birthday while she was opening her gifts?

Once everyone recovered from the face-slap incident, we ate some lunch and cut into Barbie's gown.


The birthday girl had a great day, surrounded by some of her favorite people.





And she enjoyed all of her gifts, and even shared them with her brothers.


And once daddy came home from work, Lucy's fabulous day was complete!







4 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

Happy Birthday Lucy!! And OMG Max?! I sooo know hat horrid feeling when you have a crowd watching as you try to sort out the right parenting move. Sweaty armpits for sure!!

Her party looks like it was fun and that cake was amazing! Merry is SO talented!!

I'm still in denial that our babies could be so old. If you ever need a sympathetic ear...call me!
Love you!!

Just Me said...

You got great pics of our little girl turning a full hand. I so love the one of Lucy with her dad at the end. The cake was so perfect! Aunt Merry scores again!
I also loved watching the video of the day Lucy was born, trip one and trip two to the hospital. It was a fun Party, you did a great job fulfilling her fantasy.
Oh, if only one of us had been filming that slap. You could have sent it to Funniest Videos and the whole world could laugh with us (it was ultimately funny, wasn't it? Lucy wasted no time in getting back to unwrapping her gifts.)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

LUCY is 5???? OMGSH! Just crazy!!! She is so beautiful and sweet!!! You have done such an amazing job mama!!! Well done on the simple but oh so awesome barbie party! I could just feel the calm yet joyful vibe! :) :) The cake really was off the hook and so were your yummy miracle treats!!!

Max, well what can you do? Someday his tenacity will serve him well!!!! :)

Love you and you all look great!!!

The Browns said...

5?! Where has the time gone?! Seems like just yesterday that you were finding out that you got pregant during your visit for our wedding! Lucy looks so beautiful and happy. The party looks like a huge success...love the little boy in the tux;) The cake is simply amazing. As for Max, sounds like you handled it with grace.

Luv and miss you!
Me