Today I took Lucy to her preschool orientation. She doesn't start school until next week, but today we met her teacher, looked around the classroom, met some of the other kids, and Lucy did a little art project.
As anyone with kids will understand, I felt a tiny bit anxious. Other than ballet, Sunday school, and my friend Sharon's house, I've never really left Lucy anywhere. Preschool will be a completely new experience for her and me. But my fears were quickly eased as I realized how much Lucy is going to enjoy every single aspect of preschool. Her teacher was kind, the school is in a beautiful church that is a mile from our house, one of Lucy's friends from ballet is in her class, and though she was shy while we were there, she quickly returned to her outgoing self as soon as we got back in our minivan. "Mom, I wasn't ready to leave! When can I go back?"
I turned on the car and a familiar song was playing on the radio-
Oh, this has gotta be the good life
This has gotta be the good life
This could really be a good life, good life
Forgive me if I get super cheesy here, but suddenly I love that song.
My heart was so full. God is so completely good to us. Our blessings are immeasurable. And this face was in my rear view mirror-
(Yes, she is securely belted into her seat, and yes, I was at a stop light.)
When you're happy like a fool
Let it take you over
When everything is out
You gotta take it in
Let it take you over
When everything is out
You gotta take it in
A good life, indeed! Take it in.
This song, recorded by OneRepublic, came up in a conversation on Sunday at a bridal shower. My dear friend Kelly is getting married in less than three weeks, and she asked me to think of a good song for the recessional- you know, after the kiss, when the bride and groom exit the ceremony. Not long after she asked, this song came on the radio (it is highly overplayed!). "How about this song?"
So, I got to thinking about this song. I believe that it was written while the band was touring, seeing the world, and one verse is, "Woke up in London yesterday, Found myself in the city near Piccadilly, Don't really know how I got here, I got some pictures on my phone." I took a look at the women around me at the bridal shower, and though my traveling days are currently on pause, I can definitely relate to that feeling of don't really know how I got here. Life can take us to unexpected places, and though I risk breaching the "anonymous" part of Alcoholics Anonymous, I'll share that this group of friends are all recovering addicts, all with extremely different experiences than my own. I love them. Love them. They call me a "normy", as in "normal", not an addict. How did I get here?
I feel that way a lot, in several different circumstances. And I don't mean it in a negative way. Rather, just the opposite. I mean it in a surprised way. A pleasantly surprised way. Like, taking my daughter to preschool orientation. How did I get here? Like, giving birth. How did I get here? Like, overcoming hardships that I thought for sure would take me down. How did I get here?
Immeasurable blessings.
This could really be a good life
A good, good life
A good, good life
I hope that Kelly uses that song for the recessional. I'll let you know if she does. :)
On another note, I was in charge of the punch, 2 dips, and the games at the shower. First of all, I have a fabulous dip recipe to share, but I'll save it for a day when I have nothing to blog about. Second, I learned that women don't really like to play games at showers. Huh? I like games. Well, I really actually only like prizes, but games are supposed to be fun, right? I prepared for 3 games, and we only played 2, and half of the guests weren't even playing along with the second game. Whatever! So, would you do me a favor and play the second game with me? I'll send a prize to the winner!
Simply name the partner of each person. I'll list the answers in the comment section. Tell me how many you got correct. The winner at the shower got 19/25. Can you beat that?
Famous Couples
- Brad Pitt &
- Giselle Bundchen &
- Keith Urban &
- Victoria Beckham &
- Prince William &
- Barbie &
- Jennifer Garner &
- Johnny Cash &
- Kermit the Frog &
- Josh Duhamel &
- Jada Pinkett Smith &
- Demi Moore &
- The Goddesses &
- Elvis Presley &
- Forrest Gump &
- Jim Halpert &
- Aladdin &
- Edward Cullen &
- Danny Zucco &
- Catherine Zeta Jones &
- Homer Simpson &
- Ellen Degeners &
- Sarah Jessica Parker &
- Adam &
- Beyonce &
I'll leave you with scenes from this evening's activities in our home.
When you're happy like a fool
Let it take you over
When everything is out
You gotta take it in
(Sawed off shotgun? Don't ask.)







8 comments:
ANSWERS!! :)
1. Angelina Jolie
2. Tom Brady
3. Nicole Kidman
4. David Beckham
5. Kate Middleton
6. Ken
7. Ben Affleck
8. June Carter
9. Miss Piggy
10. Fergie
11. Will Smith
12. Ashton Kutcher
13. Charlie Sheen
14. Priscilla Presley
15. Jenny
16. Pam Beezley
17. Jasmine
18. Bella Swan
19. Sandy
20. Michael Douglas
21. Marge Simpson
22. Portia De Rossi
23. Matthew Broderick
24. Eve
25. Jay Z
Oh, I love this blog! I missed #19. Never heard of them....have I?
Must be too old, LOL.
I love the song and how you threaded it through your blog. You are such a talented writer.
I so LOVE Lucy. I LOVE LUCY!!
I am so excited that she is excited about preschool. It is so exciting to watch her becoming a big little girl. As it must be for you. She will do very well in school, socially and academically, I just know she will. She is our Lucy and she has you for a mom.
Love The Rainbow Princess, Whoever Joe said he was and The Bad Guy, aka Davy Crockett.
Oh, I also just love the pic of all the beautiful women at the shower.
I missed number 13, but wasn't so disappointed when I read who it was! I can't believe that Miss Lucy is ready for pre-school. I bet she is going to have so much fun...she sounds like she is ready. By the way, I love your bag that is in the background of that picture of Lucy at school. LOVE it. I am happy that you are so happy these days! Love you.
I wanted to win!! But, truth be told I missed #13! I'm with you...I like the prizes and not so much the games! Dad and I miss you guys sooooo much and I am feeling kinda melancholy about Lucy starting preschool! And am rather relieved to hear that she didn't want to leave:) Loved all the pictures and honestly I have to agree that your AA softball friends are just the sweetest! and I am soooo glad you have them as friends! Love you! :)
Why are you such a good blogger? Why do I miss you so much? Why am I a loser that hasn't commented or called you back in days?????
I love you to the moon and back! Please don't ever stop blogging and please forgive me for how absent I have been!!!!!
I am so proud of Joe and Lucy and their mama for all of the Fall adventures that you are all having! Oh and just think...the bubs is going to get you all to himself for a coupe of hours a few times a week! What will the two of you do??? The answer...ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!
I only could guess a few of these answers! :( I am not the winner here today.
I do miss you and I do love you and I do have a CRAZY story to tell you! So I promise tomorrow to holla back yo! :))))
Thank you for the dose of happiness that I so needed right now! It is a good life and we do have so much to be thankful for.
You know, I heard that song 3 times on the radio today? It must have been a sign :o)
I'm happy that Lucy and Joe had such good experiences with school! Yeahy mama!
OK, Danny Zuko and Sandy, Grease, right? Just came to me.
Post a Comment