What a day, what a day.
I've always felt that the calendar year should begin with the first day of school rather than the first of January. Not much is really new in January, mid-winter and mid-school year. But when school starts back up after a long summer, it feels like everything is new. New routine, new clothes, new classes, new friends, new season. Thus, today is New Year's Day.
Joe was so excited- in a super cool non-expressive way, of course- to go to school this morning. I forgot to take the annual first day of school picture. Bad mama! In my defense, it was very early and I hadn't had my coffee yet.
Fall is upon us. Not that we ever get much of a break from grey and cold, but today there was something in the air that felt like fall. I was suddenly craving candy corn and apple cider.
While Max napped, Lucy sweetly asked me to play with her. She does this everyday, Please play with me! I don't want to play by myself! Somedays I can resist her and help her find something to do by herself while I finish some chores or take a shower or sit and do absolutely nothing. I try to make the most of my Max-free time because that boy is a full time job! But today my defenses were down and I found myself doing this-
Just for fun, I suggested several times that the dolls wear the ugly loafers with knee-high socks, or the orthopedic sandals with the big toe sticking out-
Lucy would kindly reply, "Oh, no, mom, those don't look real good with this princess gown."
I baked cookies in an effort to be June Cleaver-ish for Joe's return from school. The dough was tastier than the baked cookies- isn't that always the case? Joe had a good day, and that was basically the extent of what he shared, despite my rapid fire questioning.
Max was bouncing off the walls, quite literally. My pet peeve these days is that he pulls all the cushions off the sofas, for no reason at all. He pulls them off and then walks away. So annoying! Before I could find myself fixing the cushions again, I ushered my little people out the door and to the park to burn some energy. Two hours and a poopy diaper later, I prepared 3 different meals for dinner, squashed Joe's idea to play tag in the house, and redirected all three kids' attention to a Lite Brite project while we watched Lighting McQueen fall in love with Sally and push the Dinoco car across the finish line (love that movie!).
Devon just walked in the door from work, and it was a 12 hour work day for him, so I'm going to give him some attention now.
I'll sign off with this picture of my tiny super hero-
4 comments:
Hahaha!! I love that Lucy knows the "those" don't look good with a princess dress! She's right and boy.. what a little fashionista you have! I remember our boys didn't say a whole lot when they were Joe's age either. I suppose it's normal :) Lastly, that pic of Max is so stinkin' cute! Love you!!!
Oh, you got such a good pic of Super Bat Max!
With his sword of course.
Lucy does have a fashion sense and is not afraid to correct her mama on the subjuect. But of course she got it from you. I don't think you consider yourself the fashion diva or anything but you always look good.
Joe doesn't say much about anything these days. Very typical I think.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Those shoes are really funny! My favorite is the big toe sticking out. Congratulations on getting Joe off to school successfully for the start of another year! I wish I had a mom like you in my house that made me cookies for when I returned home from my class-jealous. I hope Joe knows what a good thing he has going! Love you!
I also meant to add that my favorite part of Max's picture is his little tuft of hair coming out of my mask on top. It makes me smile. E is all about his construction goggles these days-safety first!
Post a Comment