It is funny to me that I can get into a car and drive for nearly 14 hours and end up on my parents' doorstep. Not funny "ha ha" but more like funny "huh, is that all I've gotta do to visit home?"
Our 14 hour drive went by quickly and the kids were troopers- not too many potty breaks, not too many "are we there yet"s, plenty of snacks and movies... though not many naps even though we left the house at 3 a.m. The vacation adrenaline kept their spirits up as well as their eyelids. I kid you not, we transferred Max from his bed to his car seat and he immediately requested a snack. No child! Go to sleep! And as we pulled out of our driveway in the still of the night, his little arms went up as though he was on a roller coaster and he let out a little "Weeeee!"
The long drive gave Devon and I plenty of time to talk about feelings. Just kidding. That is a little joke that we share- I like to catch him off guard and ask, "Wanna talk about feelings?" He always answers yes, but I'm pretty sure that feelings are close to the very bottom of the list of topics that a man desires to discuss. Anyway, after that little game, Devon shared with me that he's noticed in the past that whenever I am home at my parents' house, I automatically re-assume my childhood role as the big sister who tattles and bosses and meddles and distributes unsolicited advice. Oh really? Is that so? He may have carefully worded this "observation" of his a bit differently, but what I heard is exactly what I just typed, and rather than give him some unsolicited advice to shut his yapper, I decided that he might be right about this and that maybe I should try to be the adult/wife/mother version of myself during this visit rather than the adolescent daughter/know-it-all sister version that I've mastered over the years.
All of that being said, we all had a really nice vacation in the warm California sun, and here are a few of the moments that I managed to catch on camera. (My photography efforts weren't top notch- I apologize. And I'm not even going to take the time to edit them at all! Friday Night Lights is waiting on the DVR, people! I've got priorities!).
 |
| Max & Lucy ride the Coco Train! |
 |
| Chillaxin' with Coco- life is good! :) |
 |
| I got to drive Seth's adorable car to my hair appointment. I enjoyed every moment of it, and I swear that "Life is a Highway" played on the radio while I was cruisin' with the windows down. I felt like Lighting McQueen :) |
 |
| The BEFORE shot. My sister reminded me, "Roots are for trees." |
 |
| The AFTER shot. Much better! And, yes, this is what a 12 year age difference looks like! :) If you live close enough to book an appointment with Molly, you should totally do it. She is "sawesome", as Max says. |
 |
| My summer kiddos. |
 |
| "Oh mommy! I love vacation!" |
 |
| Brother-in-law bonding. Devon and Aaron worked in a P90X workout in the garage. It was only like 99 degrees outside. Crazy boys. |
 |
| A nap in the living room and a good book. This is what a vacation Sunday looks like. |
 |
| Cousins!! Ellee & Lucy were so happy to be reunited! |
 |
| More cousins!! Brady & Max are still getting to know each other, but we are confident that they will one day be so happy to be reunited! Check out Max's new "Buzz Lightyear" haircut! Get it? Buzz cut?? |
 |
| Sethy & me. |
 |
My nana and my Lulu.
|
 |
| This is Plan B. We went to Six Flags theme park in Vallejo only to be turned away by the rain. So, Plan B was lunch at the Jelly Belly factory. |
 |
| The pizza and burgers are in the shape of a jelly bean- so clever! :) |
 |
| Who needs Six Flags? A $.25 ride made Maxy very happy! |
 |
| We saw two movies- Mr. Popper's Penguins and can you guess the other one? Cars 2 of course! |
 |
| My boys, lookin' cute. |
 |
| My mama, fixing a big family meal to celebrate Aaron & Molly's engagement. |
 |
My honey.
|
 |
| Pretty ladies Avery and Jill. |
 |
| The kids' table! The only pic of all 6 grandkids together. |
 |
Joe shots some hoops...
|
 |
| and Max studied the basket, thinking that he can make a shot. |
 |
| Adam, Brady, Dev, and Max |
 |
| On our drive home, we detoured to Bend, OR to have lunch with this adorable family!! It happened to be Andrea's birthday, and I was so happy to get to see her, even for just a couple of short hours! Happy Birthday Andrea! |
Well, that's a wrap!
We returned home refreshed and happy that we were able to spend time with our family and friends. I even got to meet a couple of new little friends, Henry & Lorann, and I would have happily brought home both babies with me!
6 comments:
Great recap! All I can say is when do I get to see you all? This grama missed her munchkins.
Love the recap! It was so great to see you...maybe we can see each other all the time;)
Oh, I LOVE the "Buzz" cut;)
I LOVED your visit! I LOVE this post!!! Life is a highway and I am glad you took it all the way here! We had such a fun time with you guys! Kennedy is still marking this the BEST SUMMER EVER and you guys have everything to do with that!
You crack me up with your road trip convo's with the hubby!
I am glad you got to cruise Sethie's cool ride! I remember visiting you once and having the same feeling as I jetted around in your cool passat listening to your cool music! :) I think it's something about a Mom being ALONE in a sporty little car that brings out the footloose and fancy free feelings! AM I right???
All the pictures are great! Molly did a great job on your hair! The P90X team is super impressive!
Love seeing Adam and Sethie and all the cousins!
Great that you got to see Andrea and that adorable family of hers!!!!
Love you and I am still missing you! It's always so sad when you leave!
The engagement party pics made me sad, I can't believe illness kept us away!!!!
Okay, finally, Friday Night Lights was so good...just finished it! I can;t believe there is only one episode left! :( BOO!
K...I think I covered it all :)! Nighty night!!!
Ooops, forgot Jill! Hi Jill, if you are a reader!!! I was really looking forward to seeing you at the party! :)
What a great picture play by play! I am so glad that y'all had such a greet week. There is something therapeutic about family and a pool! Love you!
Looks like the Rantz's know how to vacation to me!! It all looks wonderful and the birthday detour was MUCH appreciated!
I love you all!!
Post a Comment