July 8, 2011

Does Pinterest Pique Your Interest?

Perhaps you've heard about the latest and greatest Internet invention called Pinterest.  I kept hearing about it and I wasn't sure what the fuss was all about until my friend Katie came over last week and gave me a tutorial and guided me through opening my own Pinterest account.

If you are like me, you rip out pages of magazines when you come across something that you like.  Maybe it is a recipe or a haircut or a paint color or a party idea or a bikini clad body that makes you think maybe if I put this picture on my fridge, I'll think twice before I reach for the Ben & Jerry's.

Besides the bikini girl on the fridge, the magazine pages accumulate somewhere, such as a folder or binder.  For example, mine looks like this-



There isn't a whole lot of organization to this binder, but I know where I keep it, and I stuff new pages in from time to time, and occasionally I thumb through it to be inspired or simply to look at a whole bunch of random stuff that makes me happy and piques my interest (by the way, thanks to Bing I just learned that "pique" is a French word meaning "prick," in the sense of "stimulate").

My own mother collects ideas from magazines in the same way, and perhaps her mother does too, but times are changing, ladies, and the updated version of collecting and accumulating ideas is now called Pinterest.

Behold!

Once I opened an account, I added the "pin it" button to my Internet toolbar.


So, while browsing the interest, if I see something I like, such as great hair color, and I think to myself, "oooh, I love her hair color!", then I click my little "pin it" button. 


The "pin it" button displays every photo on the current web page, and I select the one that I want to pin.


Before the photo is pinned to my Pinterest account, I get to select which board I want to pin it to and I can add a little note to the photo.

I pinned it to my "hair" board.  You can create as many boards as you'd like, such as wedding (Molly!), photography ideas, travel destinations, home decor, crafts, books to read, etc.

My only problem is that I've spent more time writing this blog than I have spent pinning photos to my Pinterest boards.  I'm a bit intimidated by the whole process.  I currently have 1 pin- Lauren Conrad's hair color.  I've got some work to do!

So, there you have it!
Brilliant!

Thoughts?  Do you use Pinterest?

POST EDIT:
To open a Pinterest account, go to pinterest.com and click the button that says "request an invitation."


Like any posh club, you must be invited (said with nose in the air).  All you've got to do is submit your email address and the invite will be emailed to you.  Once you receive that email, follow the link to get started.  Voila!  (Wow, that is two French words in one post!  I am so fancy today!). 

Happy pinning!

9 comments:

Annie said...

I love this idea!! :) I'm going to make one right now! so exciting :) You know about the coolest things sissy! :) Cant wait to see what you pin :)

Leslie said...

Well, what a great idea!! I keep files and make inspiration boards. when I see something I relate to (that's what I call it!) on the internet I save it to my pictures. But now....pinterest! I love it!! and you :)

Molly Andersson said...

Sorry I accidentally posted under your name sis! The Annie Comment is actually from Molly!

Jami said...

Annie, I want to try this how do you get started? and by the way I LOVE the up do that LC is sporting in that pic :)

Just Me said...

cool! Website? Link? How to start? Like Leslie I usually just save to pics or documents. This sounds much better, 'funner' and more organized.

The Browns said...

This will be perfect for my mother-in-law...where do I start?!

Annie said...

Ok, I just added a post edit with directions on how to open an account :)

Lisa Blake said...

So crazy because I was going to tell you about this site on our phone conversation that we keep trying to have! I know it's my turn! :) I will call you today and hopefully we will have success! LOve you!

It looks like so much fun and so up my alley!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Alright, Fancy Nancy, you have piqued my interest.

I've heard about Pinterest but haven't ever ventured out there...I'm going...BUT, I'm still going to keep my binder!