April 6, 2010

Love Triangle


This morning I came downstairs to find Lucy sitting on the sofa watching Sesame Street. I poured myself some coffee, some chocolate milk for her, and I joined her, sitting close and snugly.



Not before long, our man walked down the stairs and into the living room. He looked very handsome in his work clothes, freshly pressed. And he smelled so good- like toothpaste, soap, and shaving cream.



He kissed us both and then hurried about, preparing to leave us for the day.



Lucy waited just a moment before she sat back on her heels, elevating her face to mine. She brushed my messy hair away and then leaned in close to my ear and whispered,



"Daddy doesn't love you."



I let out a dramatic gasp of disbelief and devastation!



A look of satisfaction filled her little round face, and then she came close again and whispered, this time for the kill,



"I don't love you either. I only love Daddy."



She sat back and waited for my reaction. I could only laugh- what a terrible way to start the day!



But, I get it. He did smell so very nice!


8 comments:

Leslie said...

I am gasping too!! I can hardly breathe!!! What a little stinker! Boy is she smart, she has you all figured out. Btw, she is adorable :) Good writing too!

Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Me said...

Oh, Lucy, you are soooo funny! I am laughing but this again shows how very smart she is to find just the right button to push. She does like to be the one and only love, and yes, excellent writing, Annie.

Wilson Girlzz said...

Lucy Kate!
OMG!

I'm happy you were able to see the humor in all of this, so early in the morning...

I seriously hope your day got better!!

p.s. I love you!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh Lucy!!! A little stinker indeed! Love the picture of you two smooching on her!!! :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Just remember you were on Devon's end of it with young Tanner! :) I don't love you! I love her!!!

comfy cozy said...

OMGSH!!!!!! This story takes the cake! I must pick my mouth up off the floor...that Lucy is too smart (and cute!) for her own good!!!