April 17, 2010

His Fantasies

When Devon and I were dating, I once asked him to help me build my fantasy baseball team. According to Dev, that was the moment in our relationship that really confirmed that I was the girl for him.
I am sad to report that from that moment forward, my future husband began to ruin fantasy sports for me. It is true that too much of a good thing is a bad thing, and it didn't take long before I was all, "DUDE! ENOUGH WITH YOUR FANTASY TEAMS! I AM A LIVING PERSON, A WARM BODY, SOMEONE WHO WANTS YOUR ATTENTION!"
I suppose that there could be worse things associated with "fantasy" in reference to one's husband's obsessions, but in our household, the "other woman" is fantasy sports.
Once, at a Christmas party, we were one of the couples pulled out of the crowd to play "The Newlywed Game", and we won a set of luggage by correctly answering, "What does your husband do that drives you crazy?" The answer: Fantasy Sports!
The annual climax of my resentment toward my husband's obsession with pretending like he manages pro baseball, basketball, football teams and golf tours (yes, even golf!) is football season when he actually pays upward of $135 to play in a league with his work buddies. That is hard-earned money (yes, that he worked so hard to earn) that he is gambling away- we have bills to pay, buddy!
Football season requires loads of attention on Sundays, and a bit more on Monday nights... but now he is in a new league, and it is baseball season now, and there are professional baseball games every single day of the week! "I've just got to check my team, see if I'm winning, I've got to decide who to start, see who is playing today..."
Again, it could be worse. I'm going to try to be supportive and wish my hubs good luck this season. And I do expect to remind him often that his teams don't love him in return, like I do!

happiness is these faces & a sunny day

5 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Annie- you deserve Wife of the Year!! I probably wouldn't be as nice! :)

I don't really know what "fantasy sports" are all about- maybe that's a good thing?! :)

And what a sweet pic of your two boys! Hope you have a great weekend!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Your boys are looking quite adorable! I have to agree...you definitely win wife of the year! BTW you are as funny as ever!

Leslie said...

Oh my.....you married your dad :)

Just Me said...

Yes, he has been doing Fantasy Football, at least, for a V E R Y long time. He used to come over and use my computer many yrs ago and when he was unable to, out of town or whatever, he would call and have me do it, send out updates to his team, etc. Yes, really. So I sympathize but it is really kinda deep inside him at this point.

Luckily he has other factors to balance him out and make him worth all your (and my) love. He is a really good guy.

Wilson Girlzz said...

Me: "good morning"

Q: "ok, I'm leading today, I need Wandy Rodriguez to pitch a great game today and I'll take this week"

Me: "awesome - you are such a good coach"

Thank your brother for you and for me...it's this families 'rookie season' and let me tell you...it's, well, um, awesome-NOT!

LOVE YOU TOO!!