April 13, 2010

F.L.A.S.H.

I have just returned home from an informative meeting about F.L.A.S.H.

I wish that I could tell you that this acronym stands for
Free Latte and Stylish Haircut!

or maybe even

Fabulous Ladies and Sophisticated Housewives!

No, no.

Family Life and Sexual Health

That's right.





Birds and bees!




The 5th grade is about to get interesting!

As a terrified parent, I thought I'd prepare myself with some knowledge regarding the curriculum. I had asked Devon if he would like to attend the meeting (you know, Devon? Joe's flesh and blood?), but his response was somewhere along the lines of haha hell no, followed by, "You should go because you probably want to get out of the house today."

Um, did my husband just suggest that a F.L.A.S.H. meeting somehow qualifies as "me time" or a mommy-break???????

Anyway, I left the meeting with an understanding of what Joe will be learning about puberty, reproductive systems, and pregnancy, and if you happen to notice that I did not include SEX in that list, then perhaps there is hope that Joe will not notice either!

Yes, the lessons skip from reproductive systems to pregnancy with a one-time, sneeze and you'll miss it, clinical definition of intercourse.

Lord, help me now!

So, of course, parents are encouraged to be available and open with conversation regarding the topics at hand. Who better to teach our children than us??

My sister-in-law, Jill, loaned me a book (by Dr. Richard Dobbins) that I have yet to open (maybe I can delay puberty by not reading the book!), but I think that it is time to dust it off and prepare myself for such an important task. I'd hate for my children to seek information- and misinformation- from their peers because their parents are too awkward when it comes to discussing sex. The time has come for me to grow up and say words like "penis" without wincing
Oh dear, wish me luck!

5 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

Sorry, but Devon gets the "BRUTAL!" call out!

ANNIE!? F.L.A.S.H. certainly does not fall into the 'mommy needs some me time' category...heck no!

But, you are so good to go and the whole topic can not be avoided and certainly needs to be discussed...I'm just so sorry it's happening NOW. Just remember, kids are equally as uncomfortable talking about the whole thing and so the two (or three - Devon - hint hint) can connect over the awkwardness.

I think for your efforts you deserve that latte and stylish haircut! (BTW, I love that acronym!)

comfy cozy said...

Hee hee, I'm totally giggling! You crack me up, Annie! And NO!, a F.L.A.S.H. meeting most certainly doesn't qualify as "me-time" or even getting out of the house! Too funny!

And would you believe that I already have a book that I picked up from church titled "Raising Them Chaste"?! And would you believe that from day one with Hanna we have used the proper terminology?! It felt so strange doing so, but I figured that we don't think twice about calling an elbow an elbow so...

Anyways, yes, fifth grade is most definitely getting interesting! Great post! :)

Just Me said...

Very funny, the F.L.A.S.H. comments. Devon, for shame, you should have both gone, and by the way, did you go with Lucy and Max? Free mommy time, huh? But you are "the mom" for Joe and we all know it.

He is 11 and these days, unfortunately, it is not a moment too soon to get these discussions going. My mom just gave me a book when I was 11 and had my little "friend" visit. I had no clue.

So good luck! Oh, what fun lies ahead for you, and I can just hear Joe going "I know! I know!" like he always does when you try to tell him anything. Let's hope that is NOT the response this time.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

You are all kiliing me!!! I agree with all of the sentiments!!! Especially that the mtg could be deemed a night out! :)

Annie said...

Devon insists that I defend him- he wanted me to go to the meeting because I am the parent who is most involved with Joe's schooling... but he is absolutely going to be the one who gives Joe "the talk" about becoming a man.... heheheh :) And he genuinely thought that I'd appreciate getting out of the house while he stayed with our kids.
There, I defended him. I love you Dev :) And I also love my blogger support team!