As I mentioned before, Joe went back to school, Devon had a birthday, and after those two calendar days were checked off, we traveled to Wenatchee on Labor Day weekend for Devon's softball State Tournament. There was more rain and less softball than anticipated, and Joseph wisely made the decision to stay back with Grandma instead of enduring the year's last softball hurrah. The weather wasn't horrible the whole time, but when it was bad, it was bad!
Next on the agenda was Devon's company's Employee Appreciation event which was held at a Weezer/Blink 182 concert. It was really fun to detach from the kids and be an adult for a night- listening to adult music, talking to adults, drinking adult beverages (just 1-- okay, 1 and a half :).
Weezer was awesome! My favorite song was "Holiday." Blink 182 was fun too, and they totally reminded me of my college days and singing in the car with Allison and Andrea. Devon isn't too familiar with Blink 182, but he enjoyed them too, and when they were singing "First Date" he asked, "What are you hoping that they play?" I said, "THIS ONE!"
One day, Devon came home from work with 4 tickets to the circus!!
On the way into the venue, someone handed us a postcard with information about animal abuse involved in a traveling circus, and Joseph read it and was a bit concerned. Once we were seated, we received another postcard of info pertaining to all of the steps taken to ensure that animals have the best care and are in no way abused. The conflicting info didn't sit too well with Joe, and more than once during the show he leaned over to ask, "Did that whip just hit the tiger???" or "Does that hurt the dog???" Aside from his worries, I think that Joe enjoyed the show, and Lucy enjoyed it too, though she was really scared at first! It is overwhelming because they have a few different acts going at once, and it is dark and loud. But she LOVED the elephants, and at the end of the show we asked what her favorite part was, and she said, "PINK!" Hmmmm. She probably meant the pink dresses that the dancers wore. Max was totally tuned in during the show and had no interest in nursing-- he didn't want to miss the circus!
Time for another concert!!! Poison/Def Leppard!!! The people-watching was truly top-notch, and we got there early which allowed us plenty of people-watching! Poison was really fun, and for any Guitar Hero fans out there, they played "Talk Dirty to Me." The only other song that I knew was "Unskinny Bop," which I didn't even know was a Poison song so it was an extra special treat :)
Def Leppard was full of surprises-- first of all, I expected them to be younger, and second, I didn't know that they were British. I didn't know a single song. Nope. Not even one song was familiar UNTIL.... POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME!!!! Oh, it was all that I'd hoped it would be! I'd waited all night for that song :)
Devon's mom, Donna, a.k.a. Grandma, had a birthday on September 26th, and Devon was able to take her to a Seahawks game to celebrate! They had a great time, despite the Seahawks loss to Chicago.
Along with Devon's "belly button" birthday, September marks his AA birthday. On September 27th, Devon celebrated 22 years of sobriety :) He has a group of friends who also celebrate AA bdays in September, and our friend Carrie always hosts a big birthday party. It is such a great group of friends that we love very much, and every year they all go to an AA meeting together and get their coins. Devon's best bud Kevin was there, and we were especially happy to see him. Our kids LOVE Kevin!
Devon also managed to go to two Pearl Jam concerts and had some overnight trips to Portland for work.
There has been a little down-time at home, and that looks a bit like this:
That was September in a nutshell :)
It has left me exhausted!
5 comments:
Exhausted? Me too. I love being with the kids though. Just don't remember it being so chaotic raising three kids of my own. I guess that is safely in my past now :-)
Love the pics and Joe being concerned about the animals. Good for him, he is a sensitive caring boy.
Yay! I always love seeing a new blog from you. You do such a great job blogging about your life and remembering to take pictures! Busy month indeed!
That is sweet about Joe caring about the animals at the circus. Bet you guys didn't expect going to the circus to be such a learning opportunity! Glad you all had a fun time. That photo with Lucy grabbing your boob is hilarious! :)
I can't believe how many concerts you guys (Devon even more!) went to this month. I'm totally with you on not knowing those 70s-80s bands' music very well. Can't believe they are still doing shows. Aren't they feeling SO OLD by now?
Congrats to Devin's birthdays, (I had to Google what the heck a 'belly button birthday' is. Ah, I get it.)
I bet October will be more mellow, with the seasons changing and softball being over, I'm sure it will be. I declare October to be Soup and Sweatpants month! :)
Great September recap buddy! Not only are you increadibly busy...but you are looking fab...seriously! How do you pull it all off?!
I had a foggy memory that this might be D-love's special month. I am SO happy for him, you, your family - it's big stuff and I'm glad you celebrated!
Blink 182 and Def Lep bring back some seriously fond memories for me too - I'm glad you heard First Date live!! ANNNNDD Pour Some Sugar on ME!!??? What I wouldn't give...
I love you tons and miss you!
Smooches!
What a fun full month!! I am so jealous!! You look amazing as does my favorite son-in-law and are those not the most adorable children??? See you soon!
First off, a huge congrats to Devon!! That is so awesome and truly something to be so proud of!
Sounds like you guys have been busy and having a blast! And I just loved Joe's concern for the animals- it shows that you two are raising him to be such a caring and empathetic boy! :)
Post a Comment