October 10, 2009

The Morning Shift

Remember alarm clocks?

Remember when you didn't need to use an alarm clock on Saturday mornings? Remember when you could sleep in until 11:15 a.m. if you wanted to, and it wouldn't matter to anyone?

Last night, as Devon and I were climbing into bed at 11:30, with Max and Lucy both awake between us (unfortunate, I know), Devon said that he didn't need to set an alarm to wake him up at 6 a.m. I secretly hoped that he would sleep right through and miss his early morning sales meeting so that he could take the morning shift.

Devon is great at the morning shift. He happily gets out of bed at whatever ungodly hour that Max or Lucy decide to be bright and shiny, and he changes diapers, brushes teeth, makes breakfast, starts coffee-- all while I sleep.

Ever since Devon started his diet/exercise plan two months ago, he isn't really available for the morning shift. He gets up before the sun, but he sneaks out alone and sweats in our garage/gym for 1-2 hours. I completely support his efforts, and I can't wait to share his fantastic results, however, this means that the babies wake me up! When the kids wake me up, my feet hit the ground running, and this is a part of motherhood that I don't really agree with! I like sleeping in. I like finishing my cup of coffee before it turns cold. I don't like the morning shift!

So, what can I do? My only solution is to wake up before the kids do. Otherwise, they own me.
Such was the case this morning, this Saturday morning.

Sure enough, Max pooped his pants at 5:45 a.m. , and Devon was kind enough to get up to change his diaper and return him to me wide awake. Devon said, "See, I told you that I didn't need an alarm clock." I growled as I rolled over to snuggle my baby, my very happy, wiggly baby. Of course, Max didn't go back to sleep, and neither did I, and Lucy woke up just as I heard the front door close as Devon left for his meeting. By the time that the three of us made our way downstairs to the living room, we found Joe involved in an intense, early morning Lego battle.

So much for alarm clocks!

So much for sleeping in on Saturday morning!

4 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

I feel your pain!
The new trend in our house, is for Brynn to 'accidentally drop' her blankie out of her crib, thus causing hysteria...hysteria that NO ONE can cry-it-out nor sleep through. So, I have to get up to get the blankie and then I get the request to 'snuggle me'...who could say no? So, I sleep in the recliner, at a super bad neck angle, most mornings from 4:00 to 6, when I have to get up to shower to get ready for work.

The morning shift sucks!
Even more so when it is still dark outside when you wake up! Booo!

By the way, I LOVE the line, "Otherwise, they own me" - AMEN sista!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Oh, nice new background!

:o)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

ANNIE!!! HIIIII!!! It's MMEEEEEE! I love your new background and I have missed your blog!!!! I would love to come and take your morning shift anytime! I can't wait to see you next week!

Okay, Sadina would like me to let you girls know that she will be back in blog world very soon and that a trojan horse (no kidding) has invaded her computer! So just when she was ready to come back on she has experienced a virus induced set back! :)

Okay I feel like I am rushing because I have to go grab Tanner from school but I will be back to comment on what I have missed! Andrea, I am headed your way too!

comfy cozy said...

Hellllooooo!!! I've missed you!! And your witty banter!!

Soooo, diving right in- yes, some mornings can be so rough! My adorable little alarm clock always goes off somewhere between 6:15 to 6:30... with no snooze button allowed! Although I consider myself a "morning person," I definitely have those days when I wish I could just stay in bed longer! Remember those days when you could??!! I should have appreciated them then! :)

Glad to be back and so glad to catch up with you and your fam!