February 25, 2009

Reality TV and Just Plain Reality

Don't judge us, but Devon and I are currently watching 5 reality tv series. Our schedule feels very full! We enjoy The Bachelor, The Biggest Loser, American Idol, Survivor, and Amazing Race. Devon also watches Hell's Kitchen, and I can't wait for America's Next Top Model to start up next week. Okay, are we total losers?

I have to give some love to The Biggest Loser. I think that it is mid-season right now, but I'm going to use the blog to give a huge plug for the finale, so stay tuned, because the finale of last season was what really won me over for this show. It is the ultimate before/after transformation of people, and it is quite amazing! On the show last night, a contestant, Dane, set a new record by losing 100 pounds in 8 weeks. OMG! Come on, 100lbs in 8 weeks??? This show makes me miss Stroller Strides more than ever, and the workouts completely inspire me and Dev to be more creative with our workouts and push ourselves harder. I must admit, however, that last night we noticed that we seem to watch this show while eating a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies, or Ben & Jerrys, or cupcakes... hmmm...

So, who is watching American Idol? The format is so different this year, and I am not sure if I like it, but we are committed. I am strangely attracted to Adam Lambert, this guy:




He is kind of awesome. He is kind of scary looking. His hair is weird, and he wears guy-liner along with other obvious make-up, and his jewelry is often Mr. T-esque... but I think he is kind of hot! Last night, Randy likened him to Edward Cullen, the beloved vampire from Twilight. Is this why I like him?? If you are tuning in, who do you like?


Now onto some reality in the Rantz home!
There is rarely a dull moment with Lucy...


She tests her limits daily, and often lands herself in a "time-out." This was an especially dramatic time-out, and I couldn't resist taking a picture.




Last week I took her to the park to feed the ducks, and when she ran out of bread, she reached in my bag and tossed a handful of jalapeno potato chips! Lucy, mama was going to eat those! When my potato chips ran out, she then decided to share her goldfish crackers with the ducks.





Whenever we watch American Idol, or when we watched The Grammys, or any other show with singing, she insists on holding her glittered microphone. On this occasion, she also played keyboard. It was quite a performance!




No, our baby isn't going goth. She took her markers to her lips when we weren't looking. Lovely!


A few nights ago, Devon... um... well, lets just say that he didn't smell like roses... and Lucy said, "Daddy, you stinky. Need to change your diaper!"

And then yesterday, she and I were attempting a nap, and I was singing her a song, and she said, "Mommy, your nose is stinky." Of course, she meant my breath. Thanks Lucy! Then she told me, "Mommy, stop singing that song. Sing 'Low ri-der, get a little higher'" That was her request for a lullaby!


Crazy kid!

10 comments:

Coy said...

Annie,
Love - Love - Love the Lucy blog.
The Reality Shows? except for american Idol. Your guy Adam - Call me and I will tell you what I think. If your mom reads it I will be in trouble. Best performance last night: Norman Gentle - he was awesome - Best so far this season is Danny Gokey. He is genuine. Anyway - I love you
Dad

Annie said...

Dad, we LOVE Danny Gokey too! He is going to win, I think. Let me guess, you think that Adam Lambert has a Clay Aiken quality to him...
Norman Gentle is ridiculous! He will be OUT tonight!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Buddy, I'm worried...you like the weirdest person on the entire show!
I have to agree with the Danny Gokey shout-out - if he doesn't win this show, I'm going to boycot forever and ever!

Dear Lucy,
You remind me so much of a little friend that lives in my house. Her name is Elsie and she likes timeouts just about as much as you do. My best advice for you is to be nice to your mommy and daddy - they love you. Trust me...they really, really, really do!

Annie, we have seriously started to tell Elsie, that if she wants to be a part of this family, she needs to be a nice girl. Our family is nice and loving to eachother. She usually sits (cries and wails) in her room for a while and then comes downstairs to tell us "I want to be in the family"...
sounds Mafia-ish, but it seems to be working.

Annie said...

Yes! How could you not love Danny Gokey? And, it is okay to be worried about my attraction to the weirdest contestant, Adam. I'm worried too! If Nick/Norman gets any farther in the competition, I just might have to boycott!
Andrea, we use the "if you want to be part of this family" talk with Joe! We totally do! It goes something like this, "We love you so much, and we know that you love us too, and since we are a family, you need to actually be nice to us!" I'm not sure if Lucy would grasp it all yet!

comfy cozy said...

If it wasn't for The Bachelor, I'd have nothing to contribute! Since we're on the subject, however, I am DYING to know what is "so sensitive for all parties involved!" Really, what could it be?! I've already determined Jason will pick Melissa. Yay!! I realized how funny my comment about the chunky finger thing sounded. Not sure if you caught that. I didn't mean chunky, just not tiny. I certainly don't go around checking out fingers though! :)

The time-out pic of Lucy is really adorable! She's too dressed up for time-out, mommy! I want to just give her a hug (which would make her cry even harder)! Andrea, your mafia comment was hilarious! I think Hanna may hear that speech in the future. A little threat goes a long way!

Just Me said...

I loved Danny Gokey from Hollywood week and predicted he will go far. I hope I am right. But oh, yes yes yes for Adam! The women in this house all love Adam. A grandma (me), a mom (Sally) and her daughter Katie (age 15)all love Adam with the sexy sneer. However my son Mark doesn't like his hair or his high singing when he gets high or really anything about him. He is perhaps very threatening for men because he is so sexual. Am I right or am I right? Speaking of Edward, the shooting for New Dawn starts in March, coming out in November or so. I can't wait.

Annie, you have to teach me Lucy's favorite song Low Rider. I have so much catching up to do. I can't wait!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Wo wo wo wo higha!! Take a wittle twip, take a wittle twip! Lucy does really sing this song and it is adorable! Annie I think it could be a You Tube greatest hit! Watch out American Idol Season 25?!

COY! I can't believe you are here in blog world! Hello! Dougie aka Good Man Better Woman says hi too!

Annie, you know we are right there with you on the reality show bandwagon! I love Danny he just has to win! Yes your crush is very Twilight! Paula loved him and I am curious to see what his style will end up being.

Lucy is adorable even in the timeout heard round the world! I NOT!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Me again...so your boy is through on AI...funny that he and Norman were at the very end together.

On MSN this morning here's what they had to say about Adam - I thought it was appropriate to share. And, I have another therory as to why you like Adam...Casey Cross from SB???

I know what you're thinking about 26-year-old Adam Lambert. How can someone who sounds like Robert Plant and looks like a vampire possibly have the crossover appeal to become the next great pop star? Well, folks, that just might be the very reason why this Los Angeles native has a shot at becoming a very serious threat in this competition. He simply sounds and looks different than the other contestants. Year after year, we tend to see the same crop of hopefuls, all with their Ruben Studdard-like voices and Clay Aiken-like senses of style. It's refreshing to see someone like Adam, who's not afraid to invert our expectations of an "American Idol." That said, if this guy does make a deep run in the contest (and I'm guessing that he will), it will be because he possesses an otherworldly vocal style that, as Simon said the other night, is part "excruciatingly bad," but also "brilliant." No one, not even the female contestants, can shriek (and I mean that in a good way) like this musical theater geek-cum-goth.

Good man Better woman said...

Justin Timberlake look-a-like went home...are you sad? Love survivor...my favorite. Got roped into the bachelor with Lisa. Isn't every episode, "The most dramatic Rose ceremony ever!!" Can't wait...Go Melissa!

Just Me said...

Yeah, I read the MSN comments about Adam too. Very apt.