March 30, 2020

Quarantine

Like the rest of the world, we are currently following the directions to shelter-in-place as to avoid the rapid spread of the coronavirus.
Early in the month, I had heard that other places in the world were suffering from this virus, but I personally felt unaffected. Our calendar was getting quite full for the spring. I had written out all of Lucy's volleyball games, Cooper's baseball games and practices, Devon's softball games, substitute jobs for me, and a variety of appointments for the whole family.
Almost 3 weeks ago, James and Julianne were visiting us from San Diego before their move to Maryland, and we had all gone to the Bear River baseball team's season home opener. Joe and Jude were remembered there, and then we walked over to the Magnolia gym to watch Lucy's second volleyball game. Devon's softball season had already received word that their games would be delayed for three weeks due to the virus, which seemed strange, but within hours nearly everything else in our lives would be delayed/postponed/cancelled, including school. That was on Friday, March 13th, and ever since then, we've been home.
And then The Sleep Shop had to close their doors and Devon has applied for unemployment benefits.
Craziness!

I'd like to say that I've been relishing in the time that Devon and I have had at home with the kids. I mean, when else in our lives will we truly have no where to go and nothing to do except stay inside together? It's dreamy when I think of it that way. But the reality is that to me it feels like a loss of control, a halt of routine, and a whole lot of grief. Without my daily "to do" list, I don't seem to know how to cope with life and loss. I've had a couple of online appointments with my counselor, several Marco Polo chats with my friends, and many tears shared with Devon. I simply feel so sad.

It has been a little over two weeks at home now, and I am realizing that I need to see that I can control only what I can control and put some energy in creative outlets in order to help myself with my sorrow.

Joe would have liked the quarantine, I think. He liked being home, playing video games, snacking when he felt hungry, sleeping late into the afternoon. I don't know if Joe would have lived at home at 21 or not, but it's likely that he would have come home for this. We miss him.



I was so proud of Max and Grace!

Lucy was so excited to make the volleyball team! The team was able to play 2 games before the shut down. 


Lucy has been baking, and we've all been EATING!


Getting outside for a walk


Games everyday!

Outside for fresh air and to burn off some energy



1 comment:

Jacqui Lott said...

You started blogging again! I was cleaning up and organizing my browser bookmarks (this is what life has become! haha) and I clicked on your blog to see if it was still active. Annie, I just love your writing and hope you write a book someday. No better time than quarantine to get started, right? I just love seeing pics of your family and hearing how things are going. Lucy looks so grown up (I mean, they all do, but Lucy - come on! She is SO mature looking now!). Happy 13th birthday to Lucy, I will keep you guys in my prayers with the crazy quarantine times. xoxo