August 18, 2012

Disneyland 2012

After the wedding was over and we'd eaten our share of leftover wedding cake, we extended our road trip further south to the Happiest Place on Earth.  Disneyland!

The newest attraction at Disney's California Adventure is Cars Land, and if you've seen the movie Cars 1,001 times like we have, you will appreciate that Cars Land is the exact replica of Radiator Springs.  Max, our resident Lightning McQueen fan, was wowed for sure, but I suspect that I enjoyed it even more than he did :)  It was so awesome!


McQueen crusied down the street
Mater was hanging out at the Cozy Cone


Our crew

Buzz Lightyear!!!


The scary ferris wheel
Meeting Rapunzel was a highlight.  She was very kind and made Lucy pinky swear that they'd be best friends forever


Cooling off in the river rapids ride
Max was soaked!!
Ice cream break in the shade in Radiator Springs

The Jungle Crusie


Though we had such a great time, there were a couple of elements that were out of our control.
1. The heat. It was 106 degrees during the day- too hot!
2. The earthquake. There was a 4.4 earthquake on our first night in Anaheim, with over 30 aftershocks, so several rides at the park were closed throughout the next day to be checked for damage. 

Two summers ago, we spent five days at Disneyland, and I thought I'd mastered the experience at that time.  I even blogged here about my lessons learned.  Well, here were the mistakes that I made on this trip.
1. Our lovely hotel of choice, the Sheraton Park Hotel, was within reasonable walking distance to Disneyland- 2 city blocks.  No problem!....  unless you are Max or Lucy....  who begged to be carried.... in the 106 degree heat...   to and from Disneyland...  two round trips daily....  Um, so, by the third day my dad sprung for bus passes.
2. We didn't have the car space to bring a stroller, and I honestly, naively, didn't think we needed one.  Ha! After transporting Max and Lucy from the hotel to the park, they then requested to be carried around the park and held while waiting in lines.  Did I mention it was HOT???  Um, so, by day two we rented Disneyland strollers for each of the little people and everyone was much happier.
3. I only packed flip flops.  Imagine dirty feet, one nasty blister, and ugly, chipped toe nail polish.  Oh, and sore feet from so much walking!

Other than those problems, we had a magical time, and "It's a Small World" is still stuck in my head :)

2 comments:

Staci said...

Ha! That's so funny (not really though) about your flip flops! In the first picture of you, I thought, "she wore flip flops, she should know better than that!" We are going in December, our first trip with kids, a 4 yr old, 2 yr old and 10 mo old...I'm going to re-read your post and am open to any more pointers you might have! Looks like you all had a great trip!

The Browns said...

You crack me up!! Seems like you had a great trip despite the weather and all the walking/carrying:) I think we will wait a few years before we brave it.

Love you!
Niccole