September 8, 2011

Funktified

I've been in a funk.  Just kinda wiped out and tired and a bit blue.

I've tried to blog, but after my high-on-life post last week, I felt like I had to wait a while before I wrote again, lest you find me to be manic.

So here is the situation- Weather, beautiful.  Children, crazy. Me, mopey.  Devon, working long hours.  Finances, ugh. 

Devon returned from work late last night to find me in tears, crying about how I'm not a good mom because the kids don't listen to me, and we are never ever going to afford another vacation for as long as we live, and we don't eat healthy enough, and the house is messy, and Joe jumped in a pool with his new cell phone in his pocket, and Lucy yelled "you are fired!" at me in Costco because I wouldn't buy her a book, and Max- oh, Max- Max did this-

Permanent red Sharpie on the carpet, the hardwood floors, my cedar chest, and our sofa.  Crayon on the sofa was so last week.

My husband listened to me cry, tried to give me a hug though I said, "No hugs!  It is too hot in here!", asked if my glass of wine was helping me at all, and that was that.

Do you have breakdowns like that too?  Surely I'm not the only one.

Today I feel a bit better.  It is Devon's day off, so I've been passing off as many household/childcare duties as possible, because, let's face it, mamas don't ever get a day off.

Yesterday was Lucy's first day of preschool.  She did so well being dropped off, and I did well too. No tears!  Us Rantz girls are tough as nails (haha!).


And Max- oh, Max- Max was alone in the double stroller...  with his finger up his nose. 


Silly boy.  He's been saying "I sowwy" a lot lately.  As he sat in the longest timeout of his short life, after the Sharpie incident, he kept saying it over and over.  "I sowwy, mommy.  I sowwy."  I was having a panic attack and all I could say in response was, "Max, don't get out of that chair!  Why did you do this?"  "Be'tuz."  "Because WHY???"  "Road."  He was drawing a road for Lightening McQueen.  Geesh.

Last night I told Devon- during my breakdown- that if you spend enough time with anyone, you just get a little tired of them.  Am I allowed to say that I'm a little tired of my children?  It doesn't feel like something that a mama should be allowed to say.  Maybe I should say that I'm tired of their shenanigans.  I just want them to sit quietly with their hands folded in their laps.  Is that too much to ask?

But then they do something cute, like dress alike,


or act sweet and play with their toys and let me have a small break from meeting all their needs,


and that is when I think, okay, I guess they are kinda fun to have around.

I guess I'll keep them.

But, I do need a break, so Grandma Donna is here now to give me and my boyfriend a night out.

Let's hope I de-funk!

10 comments:

Allison said...

Oh Annie-you are absolutely due for a night out! I too get tired of E's antics, and I'm not even with him full time. Having a two year old is a full time job in itself!

I am so proud of you for having your brave face on yesterday for pre-school! She looks so grown up.

Good luck de-funking tonight!

Molly Andersson said...

Happy de-funking sissy!! I know you will have a nice relaxing night out with devy!!
ok max's road cracks me up!! did it come out?
I miss you all terribly and I can't believe Lucy is in preschool!! I want to cry!! My little RuRu is growing up so fast and she is beautiful and looks just like her mama!! :) I love you and I hope this next week is easier!
p.s. hide the sharpies!

Leslie said...

Let the de-funking begin!I don't know how I would handle Max's "road"....good thing he is so cute!:) good job on Lucy 1st day of preschool! she looked adorable! I love the pic of Joe and Max dressed alike, kinda does make up for the antics :) Have fun tonight, mama loves you! :)

andrea perry said...

Wow, that is one impressive road! Kids are such stinkers, it's a good thing they're so cute :). Have you tried Krud Kutter? Lame name, but it works miracles!

Sarah said...

I hear you a thousand times over! And the drawing all over stuff must be all the rage. Ains drew (with crayons mind you) all over her bedroom floor. When I asked why, her response was similar to Max's: " the trains needed some tracks, mama." Oy. I think Mr Clean super strength magic erasers should help with a lot of the sharpie mess.

Wilson Girlzz said...

BUDDY!
The "road" is unreal! How? Why? What? OMG...there are not any appropriate words.

I have been in a funk for a good month. Shall we get funky together?

I really hope tonight give you some relief, even if it's just for a couple hours, at least it's better than nothing.

p.s. I get "tired of my kids" too!

Lisa Blake said...

Annie, Annie, Annie! Please don't feel alone! WE ALL have days or weeks :) like this! We have been suffering more from back to school craziness, but I truly could use a break and find myself fantasizing about an upcoming girls date that is weeks away. I had a really crazy day yesterday where everything just kept going wrong and I finally pulled off a small miracle and was on time to pick up Kennedy from her class that she is taking when this Mom pulled up and screamed at me that I was SO RUDE! I was stunned and rolled down my window and said all sweet, excuse me, I don't understand? She growled at me YOUUUUUU ARE BLOCKING MY SPACE!!!!!! AND YOU ARE BEING SOOOOOO RUDE!!! I was still being nice and said oh no you don't understand this is a school (it's in a business park) and we are...she cut me off and says IIIIII KNOW I am tryyyyyiiinng to pick up MY daughter tooo!!!!! Then she sped off. I burst into tears and it just was the tipping point! I walked up to her car (in my sweats...nice) and said were you at the parent meeting because they told us NOT to get out of our cars but to drive up for the SAFETY OF THE CHILDREN! Then if it wasn't bad enough, through my tears I added, I am not rude! We are all just Mom's trying to pick up our kids! Think she apologized? Nope! Just glared at me and went into the school! I called Doug probably 8 or 9 times at work last night just to "talk" hoping he could make me feel better and felt like the quintessential un showered I might add, housewife! :) That's my "you are not alone story"! Did it help?

I can't even believe what Max did or what I would have done in response!!!! Is there any hope? Put him back up for sale maybe? Okay now I am JOKING of course! :) But truly, this Momma might have bit her finger! Have you found a remedy yet? Oh it just hurts me to look at the pictures. Money blues bite too and hubby's gone for long hours and still having money blues even worse!!!!

Okay, this might be the longest comment ever, but I love you, you are not alone, I miss you, if I could we would be whisking ourselves away and grabbing Andrea for some serious DE-FUNKING!

Lucy looks adorable, what a big day for her!!!

Hope you were able to recharge on your date! Hooray for Gramma Donna!!!!!

The Browns said...

Oh, Annie!!! I don't know how you handled the sharpie incidence with such grace!! I would have absolutely lost it. You are such an amazingly patient momma. You deserve some sort of award/recognition;)

Miss you, love you!!

Just Me said...

Ok, now I am soooo glad to be the grandma and not the mom anymore. Well, I am a mom but my kids are all trying to control their own lives.

Am I the ONLY ONE who laughed out loud at Lucy's "You're fired" comment? Where does a 4 year old even hear such a statement?

The couch, carpet and chest pics are all very sad, but you have some great friends with ideas to try on them.

I hope your free time last night with your DH (dear hubby) and friends relieved your funk for a while. I so enjoy being with them.

Lisa, I have to comment on a comment here: You can bet that mother who yelled at you felt very silly when she got home and cooled off. You handled her sooo very well....I know I could not have done so. You were way nicer than she deserved.

Sonia said...

Oh Annie! If only we lived closer... we could commiserate (sp?) together! Blake would be right there with Max and loving every minute of it.

And Lucy! Ahhh! I love that my daughter isn't the only sassy pants. This morning Avery told Blake (after he sweetly said, "Sissy, would you put my chocolate milk on the table?") "Blake, I am NOT your maid! Do it yourself!" I think my own words came back to bite me there!

I hope you had a wonderful time with Devon the other night. You do need your own Time Out occasionally!