Whenever I sit to write a new blog post, I like to begin with the title. The title sets the theme for the post and gives me some focus and direction- it is like a launching pad for the words and pictures that follow, and, usually, if I can't think of a fitting title, the blog feels uninspired and, in most cases, doesn't motivate my thumb to left-click "publish post".
Yet here I sit, without a title, without direction, attempting to pull something together. Wish me luck.
So, I caught Max dancing on video yesterday. As it turns out, he has inherited my dad's moves. (If you've ever seen my dad dance, you'll recognize the side to side rock.) Except that I don't think that my dad runs around in circles, though he does exist in a constant state of hyper, so, then again, maybe he does :)
Fun fact: Max is now the same age that Lucy was when he was born. I keep thinking about my Lulu girl, 2 years and 3 months and 2 weeks ago, and how I thought that she was so little until I held Max for the first time and then suddenly my little girl became a big girl, and she has stayed a big girl, continuing to transform before my eyes. She is so excited to start pre-k at the end of this month. I am excited for her, though check back with me in a few weeks- I might be a wreck, missing my girl from 9-noon on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
I bought Max a pack of chonies this week (that is our word for underwear), in the hopes of potty training. He can and does go potty on the toilet, though he goes potty not on the toilet far more frequently, and while he really enjoys wearing "queen" chonies (Lightning McQueen), I can only spot clean the carpet so many times before I give in and grab a diaper. All in good time, right? He'll be ready when he's ready, I figure. I think I'm anxious for his booty to constantly be this cute and diaper-free.
Would you believe that I'm still working on this puzzle? Would you believe that it has been taking up our entire table for weeks? Ugh. But I've come too far to quit now.
One day, while I was working on the puzzle, I made a quick fort for Max and Lucy, hoping that it would entertain them long enough to allow me some "me time" (the puzzle has now become "me time"- good grief!).
Great idea, right? Well, I thought so, but this is what was happening inside the fort-
There were complaints of Max not sharing the princess cash register and of Lucy being bossy, or something like that. It probably didn't help that I popped in to take a picture of the disgruntled children rather than solve their problems. Hey, I made the fort, I felt I'd done my part! I had a puzzle to work on! They worked through their issues and moved on, just as they do 1,000 times each day. Someone told me recently that sibling relationships help teach children to express emotion, work through them, and move on. I couldn't agree more.
Last weekend was SeaFair in Seattle, and my favorite part of SeaFair is the Blue Angels' air show. I love the Blue Angels- they knock my socks off. Whenever I watch them fly, I can't help but hum the theme song of Top Gun and quote lines from the movie, like, "Hey, Goose, you big stud!"
On Devon's day off, we grabbed a picnic lunch and went to a park on Mercer Island to eat and watch the jets. Max really likes airplanes, so I thought he'd be completely wowed by the show. Bummer alert- the park we landed at was heavily wooded with tall trees, so when the Angels did pass over our limited view through the clearing, they were so loud and low that Max was terrified and refused to look up at all. I knew that the jets would be loud, but I suppose that I expected to see more of their tricks and formations, which kind of make the noise awesome (right??). With the loud noise and the brief view, Joe said that he felt like we were going to be bombed.
I was in a funky mood, so I blamed Devon for picking the wrong park and ruining the air show for us all. At least the park had a great playground, so the kids forgave him. And he promised me that next year he will properly research and find the best spot to watch the show.
So, my big cleaning-chain reaction that took place, it all started with this-
which folded up and went inside this-
and I moved my dresser and a mirror from one wall to another, and a chair from the living room moved to our bedroom, along with a floor lamp that was tucked away in a closet-
which left the living room with just a love seat and a recliner and a tent... which I shifted around like this, and in the dining room I moved the buffet table from the back wall to under the window...
I made a bunch of little changes like those- nothing ground breaking or Young House Love-ish, but enough to make me feel better about our digs.
The ottoman that goes with the chair that moved to the bedroom? I put it here, though I know it doesn't really match-
but gosh darn, it is so nice to kick our feet up on that side of the sofa! Picture all 5 of us Rantzs cuddled on the chaise.... no wonder my sofa "spot" is getting so deep!
I'm officially out of things to talk about and I still don't have a title for the post. I'm not feeling too confident about the random mix of topics, but here we go!
Left-click "publish post"!





7 comments:
I love your random post... I feel like that's how all of mine are! Two thoughts: next year go to Medina Beach to see the Blue Angels, it's an awesome spot to watch and you can see them the whole time they're over the lake. And as for that adorable ottoman, it would be super cute if you re-upholstered it in a fun, funky fabric :). And then stick a cute tray on top and you have a ottoman/coffee table combo. Just a thought from a fellow compulsive house re-orgainzer!
I too loved your titleless blog. I am forever amazed at your strength and stamina to move around furniture as you do and always have. I remember going to the old condo and seeing a new configuration every week or so.
I am excited about Lu going to Kindygarten too. Just think, you can keep Max busy and have more "me time" and finish that puzzle. That is assuming it isn't finished yet, just assuming :-) And I too have a few pieces invested in that puzzle. I can see progress though!
The best place to see the Blue Angels is from Boeing Field where they take off and land, which I got to see when I was married to a man who worked there and loved jets. I don't have that perk anymore, sorry.
No clue on the title...still thinking...still nothing! I love you random posts. I need to let you loose in my house to figure out how to freshen it up without buying a single thing-well done. I'm off to pick up my little man and start my weekend! Love you!
Title:
Take me to bed or loose me FOREVER! :)
HAHA! Am I cracking myself up? Not nearly as much as YOU crack me up!
Oh I want the bubs! Give him to me now! He is so yummy! I love his "sway" and his undie boy digs!!!
I love Lucy too with her dolly and how it WANTS you! Too cute!
Thank you for adding the pictures of your organization in the nation and I promise you will cry on a Monday morning soon at 9a.m.. But she will do great!!!
LOVE Max's dance video!! He has got some rhythm! And all of the pictures actually...
I feel like I am there instead of missing you all! Great random blog, I think you should go to the BlogHer convention, Corie is going and I think you could make some money with your writing skills!!! LOVE YOU! :)
I totally agree with Leslie! As you know, I do truly think you could make money with your writing skills. Love you too!
I like radom, yes I do!
I really like Leslie's idea for you!!
Post a Comment