Sometimes life gives you a swift kick in the crotch, which I've heard is very painful.
You didn't even see it coming.
And as you are doubled over on the floor, writhing in pain, your future becomes unclear, as though someone shook it like an Etch-a-Sketch and erased the pretty picture that you'd created.
Your spirit is crushed and your heart feels broken.
Your spirit is crushed and your heart feels broken.
And you aren't sure what all of this means or how it will all play out or if everything will be okay.
But you remember your faith- your faith that sustains you through all of life's peaks and valleys- and you tell yourself that surely God is in this mess somewhere. Surely God is putting something in motion that will come together to create one of those Aha! Moments that Oprah is always talking about. Surely something better is around the corner.
And you think of quotes you've heard like, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!" And you nod and think Yes, yes, God's plans are always better than my own. And you recall Bible verses such as Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. And you feel encouraged. But then in the middle of the night you find yourself wide awake shaking your fists at the sky and wondering What the hell was wrong with my plans?!
You try to look on the proverbial bright side. You pray and you play with your kids and you spend the weekend with family and you go to church on Easter. You eat when you feel like you aren't going to vomit. You cry when the kids aren't looking. And you move forward.
So, that is what this last week has been like.
If I've ever given the impression that we've got our act together, we don't. We have our fair share of challenges, and for 96 long hours we were afraid that unemployment was going to be one of them. But, alas, Devon is still employed, yet he is moving to a different role within the company. Change can be so terrifying.
If I've ever given the impression that we've got our act together, we don't. We have our fair share of challenges, and for 96 long hours we were afraid that unemployment was going to be one of them. But, alas, Devon is still employed, yet he is moving to a different role within the company. Change can be so terrifying.
Please keep us in your thoughts as we make some adjustments 'round here!
God is in the mess somewhere, and once we find Him, I hope that we'll discover that this isn't really a mess at all.

7 comments:
I love you and have you all in my prayers.
p.s. you are a FABULOUS writer my love!
Oh, Annie- you are in my thoughts and prayers!!
We'll be praying for you guys!
:( I so sowwy! I love you so much! It's a beautiful picture of you two. It's gonna be okay, I promise.
It will all work out. You may not see how now but it will come together. You both will move forward into life's new challenges, strengthening your love and life together and yourselves as individuals. I know this will work out for you and my love is with you. Any way I can help let me know. You know I am always there for you all.
What a beautiful picture. Love and prayers.
Thank you for sharing your heart. Praying for your family and the transitions ahead.
Post a Comment