April 20, 2011

The Mama Vacation

I have often talked about taking a mama vacation.  I've learned that for moms, a "family vacation" is really just a "trip", because though the kids and daddy are enjoying a significant variation from their regular daily routine, a mama is still a mama, busy doing mama things.  I love trips- don't get me wrong- but I've longed for a vacation- a real break from my own routine. 

And I nearly missed out on my first-ever mama vacation.  Less than 48 hours before I was to be on a plane headed to sunnier places, I came down with the stomach flu and was curled up on the floor of the bathroom at the throne of the toilet bowl.  Sadly, the flu bug spread, and when Devon dropped me off at the airport on Friday morning, with Lucy in the backseat barfing into a plastic bag, he promised me that he could handle everything.  He told me that I needed to get on my flight and try my best not to worry.  So, with a baggy of Saltine crackers and with tears in my eyes, I walked away from my ill little family...  AND HAD THE BEST WEEKEND EVER!

I arrived in San Diego to find warm sun and blue skies and I remembered oh yeah, people actually live like this!  I must have taken half a dozen pictures of the cloudless sky, as if it was an endangered species.  And each time that we sat down to eat at a restaurant, I remembered oh yeah, I don't have to order food for the kids that they probably wouldn't eat anyway.  And as we window shopped in downtown La Jolla or at the Fashion Valley mall, I remembered oh yeah, I don't have a stroller to maneuver through the doorways or aisles and I don't have to be mindful of when the next exhaustion induced toddler meltdown should occur.

I like vacation. :)
Just as I'd hoped, Allison, Andrea and I- "The A Team" as we like to call ourselves- picked up right where we left off as if no time has passed since we were roommates in Santa Barbara ten years ago, except that now we have stretch marks and wedding rings.  We spent our time together doing just what I'd expected- talking, shopping, walking, eating, drinking, laughing, and when we absolutely had to, we'd sleep. 
Even though we stayed busy as tourists, this trip was very relaxing and low-key.  One of my favorite parts of the trip was a walk to the beach by our hotel in La Jolla.  I loved walking in the sand and listening to the water and just savoring my time with these girls.  I hope it isn't another three and a half years before we are all together again!

It was really tough to say goodbye to such a fabulous weekend, but it was, of course, nice to be reunited with Devon and the kids.  True to his word, Devon took care of all the sickies and was an A+ daddy. 
Thanks Dev! 

And thanks A & A!

7 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

It was the best VACATION ever!

I'd like to know where you saw my stretch marks (OMG!) and I also wish I could rock a fedora like you - you are so adorable!

Thanks to Devon too! We really appreciate having Annie all to ourselves!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the stomach flu story!!! OH NO! What a close call!!! I LOVE these pictures! I am actually all teared up. Really. I love the bond that the three of you have and that you were able to get away with each other and have this time. You will remember it forever!

You are all so beautiful! Inside and out!

I was waiting for my shout out...:))) but I will settle for crashing the trip next year! HAHA!

Love all three of you!!!!

SO happy for you ANNIE!

Just Me said...

I am so happy for you and so jealous of your trip to San Diego, where I have never been. Just having the sun shine down on you for three days would be the utmost joy! Reconnecting with your BFFs must have made it really unforgettable.

I am so glad you got to go after the flu. And I feel so guilty getting sick so I couldn't help Devon while you were gone. He really earned cudos for doing what you do every day all by himself. He will appreciate you even more.

I have waited all week for this blog and it was worth it.

Leslie said...

I've been waiting also! It sounds and looks GLORIOUS!! I don't remember ever taking a mama vacation, alot of mama and daddy tho, which is also awesome!:) Btw, you all look great in your suntans!! I am so glad you 3 got to reconnect!! Love you and see you soon! :)

Wilson Girlzz said...

I'm back again (for like the millionth time) - I love looking at these pictures!
Happy Times!

Annie said...

thanks for your comments, ladies!
Andrea, don't worry- I didn't actually SEE any stretch marks on you :) Do you have any??! If not, no fair!!
Lisa, we truly did write your name in the sand! We were thinking of you!!

Molly Andersson said...

Sissy your weekend looks so fun!! I'm so happy the three of you got a mommy vacation and I hope you had a sweet Reunion with your buddies and then with you family when you got back!! haha you three totally look the same including you with a funny hat on ;-) love you!