April 11, 2011

Anticipation

Something fantastic is going to happen this week.
I am going to board a plane by myself
I am going to fly to sunny San Diego, California.  Did you catch that?  Sunny!
I am going to find my girlfriends at the airport as if I am on a scavenger hunt, or like I'm on the Amazing Race and the finish line is the three-way hug between me and Andrea and Allison.  A million dollar hug, indeed.
We are going to kick it all weekend long.  We are going to kick it like we used to kick it way back when cool people said "kick it." 
We are going to walk on the beach (omg the beach!).
We are going to shop and eat and drink and relax and talk and talk and miss our babies, of course.
Oh, how I'm going to miss these babies!
I am going to call home to check in, and I will secretly hope that Devon will sound exhausted from taking care of our children and will say something along the lines of I just don't know how you do it all, honey!  But I will be relieved and happy when he tells me that everything is going great and that I shouldn't worry at all and that I should go buy myself an expensive gift, like a Michael Kors handbag or something.  (hehe!)
I will take a nice deep breath of salty air and recognize that it is okay to occasionally step away from my role as a mama in order to remember who I am as an individual- a person without three extra appendages named Joe, Lucy and Max.
I will take delight in the comfort of the friendship that I share with my girlfriends- a friendship that has formed to such a nice fit, contouring to each of us and our personalities, likes and dislikes, fears and silly quirks.  I know these girls well, and I love that they know me well too.  So comfortable.
And along with the comfort, I will look for newness.  Surely we have all changed.  We've each had a baby since our last visit, and there have been job changes and moves and 30th birthdays.  We are the same but also different.  I am so looking forward to seeing how our friendship takes shape around the new parts of each of us.
And I will return home refreshed and grateful.
I cannot wait!

Santa Barbara 2002


9 comments:

Leslie said...

Sounds delightful! Have a wonderful time!! Great blog and BEAUTIFUL picture! Love you! :)

andrea perry said...

Ooooh, there's nothing better than a girls weekend!!! And I love the part about Devon realizing how hard you work, I totally had the same idea in mind when I went to CA on my own :). Enjoy, relax, and take FULL advantage of your kid-free time! I can't wait to hear all about it...

Just Me said...

I too am excited for you, Annie! You need and deserve it! I think I am sharing the kids with Devon on Sunday, I heard as I dashed out of sight yesterday.

The Browns said...

That sounds so delightful!!! You deserve it:) How exciting to meet up for a girls weekend...I'm so envious. Please have the time of your lives and enjoy every single second!!!

Wilson Girlzz said...

The Million Dollar Hug indeed!
Oh, gosh, would you believe that I am teary?

I am so excited to see you and 'the chicken' and to be just the comfy three of us again. You captured everything I've been thinking about and excited about and looking forward to.

Even better...I've been on the hunt for a new purse and I just keep telling myself that will be my San Diego treat! Cheers to us!! Promise you'll help me pick one out? Remember, you have great style ;o)

Just Me said...

Could you please bring some sun back here? We need it really much. Have fun and tell us all about it, take lots of pics.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!! You are so LUCKY!!!!! I am really really really really excited for you and your ladies!!! I really think there needs to be a "mix" made for the trip and to remember it by.

I wish I had longer to comment Annie!!! I need major recaps from this vacation!!! Maybe you girls could write my name in the sand and say "wish you were here"!!!!!
:)))

Allison said...

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner Indeed! Can you believe that it is just around the corner? We were just babes in that picture-so young. We had no idea what life was going to offer in that picture-i love it!

I too can't wait to see what new things we learn about each other. I hope to be surprised this weekend. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!

Jacqui Lott said...

YAY!! Have an amazing time! What a treat!