April 27, 2011

2nd Birthday, 3rd Child Style

Today is Max's birthday, and, yes, I've been a bit sad about my baby turning two years old.  All day long I've been thinking about how in the past two years my little Lover Boy has gone from this
to this
to this
to this
Why oh why do babies have to grow so fast?

Because Max is only 2, and therefore has very few expectations regarding his birthday,
and because Max is our 3rd child, and therefore we are pretty tired once his birthday rolls around,
we planned nothing.
Nope, nothin'.

We decided to spend the day at the Children's Museum in Seattle,
and then tonight we pulled together a Toy Story themed family party,
and overall, I think that the birthday boy was very pleased.



The low point of the day:
As we left our house this morning, heading to Seattle, we passed a police car in our neighborhood.
Devon: I think I forgot my wallet.  I am driving without a license.
Me: Also, our vehicle tabs expired a couple of months ago and I keep forgetting to renew them.
Devon:  Annie!  That is really bad!
Me:  Well, sorry!  I just forgot.
Devon:  Well, now he is behind me and we are being pulled over!
Officer:  I've pulled you over because your tabs are expired.
Devon:  Yes, so I've heard.
Officer:  May I see your license and registration and insurance?
Devon:  Funny story- I forgot my license at home.  We were just about to turn around and go get it.
Me:  Here is our insurance card, but it is expired.  The new card is on the counter at home, next to Devon's license.
Devon:  Seriously?  You don't have a current insurance card? 
Officer:  How about a registration?
Me: Here you go. Oh wait, that is from '09.  Here.  Oh wait, that is from '08.  Here, this one is from last year.
(officer walks back to his car)
Me: I haven't paid this month's car payment.  Maybe he'll just confiscate the whole vehicle.
Devon: What is wrong with you?
Me:  I don't know. 
(Laughter from the backseat.  My mom and Molly are here visiting, and they think that this scenario is pretty darn funny, and my mom takes a picture to commemorate the occasion)
Officer: I didn't site you for not carrying your license or a current insurance card, but here is a violation for expired tabs.
Devon:  Thank you officer.  We'll get that taken care of right away.

The fine was $124,
which is more than the cost to renew the tabs :(

The moral of the story-
Renew your vehicle tabs before they expire!

By the way, at this exact moment two years ago, I was pushing.
I was only 10 minutes away from meeting my little man face to face.
That was a great night!

7 comments:

Katie Lott said...

Happy Birthday Maxie! (I had to put that here, because he's a big boy now and everyone doesn't need to see his mom's friends calling him "Maxie"!)

Oh Annie, the tabs story is great. At least you knew why you were being pulled over. When we were pulled over for expired tabs (two months prior) we had no clue! It was the first year with the van and we never got the notice. After telling the officer this, he still proceeded to give us a $200 ticket! Adam had to go to court to get in taken down to $100. Oh, and we were a block away from our house.

I think the officers in this neighborhood have nothing better to do. Maybe they should get all the people who SPEED past my house (almost hitting the kids), I'm just sayin'.

Allison said...

I would love to see your moms picture of this! I hope that Max had a wonderful day. I love you!

The Browns said...

Happy belated birthday, Max!! Sounds like you had a great day. The bonus...the good story to go with it;)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Happy big twosie Maxie baby boy!!!!

Oh Annie, this story made me laugh and cry all at the same time! :) Poor thing! It kills me that weswie and Molly thought it was funny enough to take a picture! I can't believe the ticket was that much!!! I think Dougie would have let you go for sure!!! :)))

Lovin' you a bit extra today!!!

Jami said...

I hate getting pulled over-for some reason I always tell myself "act natural" like there is a warrent for my arrest or something! Your stories always make me laugh :) Anyways, congrats on Max's birthday I am super excited to have a little boy in the house too!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Happy Birthday Max-a-roo!
I can't believe that he is two!

It does not seem so long ago that you pushed and pushed and soon you found that you had a beautiful boy whose face was perfectly round!

100% boy, through and through, I love how he rumbles and is built like a tank. Too bad that lame-o officer gave you nothing to thank!

A low key birthday is sometimes the best, after all it gives the mama much less to stress.

Cheers to being two and growing up, pretty soon you can toss the sippy cup!

WoW!
Love you!

Just Me said...

Annie, Maxie loved his party! He was soooo excited sitting at the table with the toy story decorations and plates, waiting for his party to start. He could not have been more excited, so you did a fine job!
The tabs story an extra bonus and Leslie getting a photo of it, just perfect. So funny.

I am always checking my rearview mirror when I am driving these days because my own tabs are overdue and with moving expenses just incurred I can't get them for another month so now I am really crossing my fingers that I will last that long.