March 27, 2013

The Happs

Here's what's happening, also known as "the happs", which is what the parents refer to as "what the kids say", though I am not really sure that any kids say "the happs", but I really think that they should.
 
Anyway...
 
Something wonderful happened!  So wonderful!  Joseph got a job!
 
Now, to be honest, I got Joseph a job.  But he wanted the job.  I just did all the registering, scheduling and transportation.  I'm like his "momager", which is what the kids call their mom-managers.  Aren't I right, Kris Jenner?
 
Are you just dying to know what Joe does now to pay the bills support his longboarding habit, other than babysit his siblings, unload the dishwasher, take out the trash, and clean the bathrooms?
 
He is a little league umpire!  Perfect, right?  Or "perf", as no one probably says.
 
His first umping gig was last Saturday, and I could tell that he was super anxious.  We picked up his friend Zak, who is also working his first jobby-job, and I dropped them off at the field.  I snuck a picture as they walked away.


Now, get this- the pay scale for umpiring is $30 per game if you are working behind the plate, and $20 per game if you are working at the bases.  The first game lasted approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes.  Joe asked, "Mom, aren't I, like, making more than minimum wage?"  Yes, son. Yes, indeed you are.  Why didn't I apply to be a little league umpire?
 
Zak and Joe are hoping to work most of their games together because they are great buds and because Zak prefers to work the bases and Joe prefers to work the plate.  Perf!
 
They were so happy after the game that I took a risk of being a super embarrassing mom and asked if I could take a picture.  Zak said yes and Joe groaned.  "Smile!  Say 'employed!'"

 
Joe's baseball season also began last Saturday.  Max, Lucy and I packed up sweatshirts, toys, and snacks to go cheer for our favorite lefty.  I complain a lot about the time, money, and effort that goes into little league, but is there anywhere else I'd rather be on a Saturday night?  Let's just say yes and not think about that question too much.
 
Someday I'll leave the bleachers and get pictures without the fence detail...  but, hey, at least I got the camera out. 

Yep, he's still skinny.

This is what Max thinks of Joe's games.

Lucy can read now, and she really likes reading to an audience.

Joe on the mound.  Dumb fence.
Joe's first job, first baseball game of the season...  and Max had a first too!
 
Max's first on-stage performance!!  Max's school had an Easter concert yesterday.  They sang songs, played some instruments, danced a little bit...

adorable!

Max and his sweet friend Wyatt.  This was Max's least favorite part.


"Deep and wide, deep and wide, the love of Jesus is deeeeep and wiiiiide!"

We were so proud of our Bubs, who did not keep his black shirt clean for his on-stage debut!
 
After the concert, Mr. Smarty Pants asked, "Can we get Ben & Jerry's, since I did such a good performance?"  Yes, of course.  "Can I play the iPad when we get home, since I did such a good performance?"  You've already played that card, kiddo.
 
It was turning into a lovely day, so we went out to lunch and to the park with a long-time friend of Devon's.


 
 




 
While walking around this park in Bellevue, we had a celebrity sighting- The Bachelor's Jason Mesnick and his wife Molly and their new baby.  As always, I totally did the opposite of playing it cool, but Devon said "hello" and Donna gave a friendly wave.  I didn't think to take a picture while they were close- I'd be a terrible paparazzi. 


I'd just read about Baby Mesnick's (okay, okay, I happen to know that they named her Riley) nursery in US Weekly, so I totally missed my opportunity to tell them that I loved the grey and white décor and the gender friendly design. We could have talked about their televised wedding, or about the latest season of The Bachelor, or about the weather in the Pacific Northwest....  Gosh, I am so not cool.
 
And on that note, I hope you've enjoyed the happs!  Peace out!

3 comments:

Just Me said...

What fun! Yes, you could have totally talked to Jason and Molly about their nursery. We were all trying to act cool and not be a celebrity stalker type. We wave, we say "Hi" and they are going "who the heck are you?" but wasn't it fun??
I love your new camera! What great pics! Your sons are growing so T A L L ! !
Max was just precious.

Lisa Blake said...

I never use this lingo but LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!

You are killing me!!!!! I promise to not think about the question for too long! HAHA!!!!

I really don't know where to begin! Joe's embarkment on manhood, or Max's theatrical debut, or Lucy's literary musings at the baseball field!! I could start with your celebrity sighting!!! You totally should have dished decor! ;)

Your pics are just so good and you are as clever and funny as ever!!! Love you!

Julianne said...

Ah! I am so excited for Joe!!! I love all your pictures, as always :) Enjoy the games you can attend...not everyone is able to :(

Love and miss you all! I hope your Easter was lovely!