May 17, 2012

The Perks

If there was ever a season during which it is especially good to be a mama, I've decided that it would be late spring.  The sun has been shining and the kids have been loving on me, and maybe this is the Vitamin D talking, but recently I've been taking in all of the perks of motherhood.  Such as...

The Mommy and Me Tea at Lucy's preschool.

The kids were so excited to sing some songs for their moms, including "You are My Sunshine". 

A portrait of me!  Lucy's teacher told me that Lucy worked hard to include all of the colors of my hair.

They served tea, juice and yummy treats, and there were several things that I was given to take home like hand-made cards, place mats, a small bird house... 

This was such a special event, and I loved it!

The Parks
If I wasn't a mom, I probably wouldn't spend a beautiful afternoon at the park.  I'd probably miss out on the opportunities to go down a slide, walk barefoot in the grass, spread out on a blanket and feel the sun and the breeze, help Max discreetly pee in the bark under the slide...  (shhh, don't tell)

Devon isn't a mom, but we like him to experience the perks of the park when he isn't at work.

Max is wearing a Batman pajama top and Spiderman swim trunks because daddy dressed him :)  He is probably yelling, "I need an underdog!".  Lucy has recently mastered pumping her legs on the swing, which makes her feel extra awesome.  And, as an added bonus, Lucy's new skill relieves me from some of my "Mom! Come push me on the swing!" duties.

The Boo-Boos
Okay, this isn't going to sound like a perk, but hear me out-  the month of May has brought about a collection of ouchies.  Max and Lucy (and even Joe, actually) are covered in bumps and bruises that they've acquired while playing outside.  And guess who they run to when they need a little TLC and a magical kiss with healing powers- MAMA!  I'm never happy when they get hurt, but I sure soak up the "mama, hold me!" that comes with a new boo-boo. 

Last week Max got a finger slammed in the hinge of the door that leads from the house to the garage.  He was in so much pain and cried for a very long time, and he kept moaning, "I just want you! I just want you!" Me? You got it, Bubs!  I drove Lucy to ballet class and then I just held him close until he cried himself to sleep, and I treasured every moment.  How often do I get to hold my 3 year old like that?  Not often!  I took a picture to make it last longer :)


The Unexpected
"Never a dull moment." I say that a lot.  Sometimes I say it when I'm happy, and sometimes I say it when I really mean Seriously? This absurdity is really happening right now? 

Since I'm writing about perks, let's consider the following photo to be an example of the happy version of "never a dull moment".  This is what I woke up to a few mornings ago.

Yes, he is on top of me.  Good morning, Spiderman.

Forced Family Photos
A perk of being a mama in May is that you get to say "Let's take a family picture" and no one whines because it is Mother's Day and they are trying to make you happy.
But not everyone agreed to look at the camera.  And my eyes look half closed.

Now Lucy's eyes are closed, and what's up with my neck?  Oh well.

So there you have it- a handful of the perks I've been enjoying.  What have you been enjoying?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi:) I miss you!! Where have all our blogging friends gone?! How Allison?

Anyway, I love all the pics and of course the witty comments are always a hit;)

Hope all is well and that you are coming to visit soon!!

Luv u,
Niccole

Just Me said...

You and Lucy look so very fresh and springy and pretty in your Tea pics. What a great thing to share and of course Lucy is the prettiest girl with the prettiest dress.

I love Max waking you up in his Spiderman jams. He loves his mommy and we all love him. Love you all!