If you know me well, you know that I'm not an animal lover.
Now, before you get offended by the fact that furry (or scaly or slimy or feathery) creatures don't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, let me clarify that I'm not an animal hater. It is just that I wasn't raised with pets, I've always been a bit scared of animals, and I really don't have the desire to ever cuddle up with, say, a cat on my lap.
All of that being said, I've found my perfect match in Devon in that he also does not desire to be a pet owner. Ever. We've got kids- we've changed the diapers and now we wipe the booties, and that is the extent of contact that we are willing to have with another creature's poo. Ever.
With three kids in our house, you can imagine that we've had several conversations that go like this:
Can we get a dog? No.
Can we get a cat? No.
Can we get a lizard? No.
Can we get a parrot? No.
How about a dog? No.
Maybe an iguana? No.
I wish we could get a puppy. No.
Lately, Lucy has really campaigned for a pet fish. I don't know where she got the idea that life would be better with a fish, but she has been convinced. We've said no, no, and no. But, one night after a particularly frustrating bedtime routine during which I was far too involved in getting her to finally close her eyes and drift off to sleep, I buckled and said, "Lucy, if you can learn to go to sleep on your own, I'll get you a fish." Her eyes lit up and she asked, "Really?!" and Devon also asked, "Really?". Yep, I meant it. Whatever it took to not have to ever again sit on her floor in the dark and wait for her to stop twitching and humming and talking while she postponed sleep, I was willing to pay up. Besides, what is the going rate for a goldfish these days? $.25?
So, a chart was made and stickers were involved, and Lucy was well on her way to earning a pet fish and making my life easier with a more efficient bedtime routine.
Skip to last Saturday. It was the day, and off to Petsmart we drove. Joe and I were amused that Petsmart could be Pets Mart or Pet Smart. Is it one or the other or both? Irrelevant, but anyway, it should be noted that I don't love pet stores. But there we were. Within the first minute, I was asked:
Can we get a turtle? No.
Can we get a hamster? No.
Can we get a bird? No.
Can we at least get a kitty? No. But, we can get a fish!
Can we get three fish? No.
The salesman in the fish department was quick to inform me that a fish in a bowl had zero chance of survival, and the only possible way to have a pet fish is to buy an aquarium, and the boxed aquarium at Lucy's eye level was pink with a big mermaid on the front.
Can we get the pink one with the mermaid? No.
The salesman said, "Fish bowls really don't work out, I mean, unless you want, like, a Betta fish, which is kind of a boring fish to choose."
Boring? We are talking about fish, right? Is one selection really more boring than another?
I asked, "Well, then why do you sell fish bowls, and five varieties of them?"
"Supply and demand, ma'am. Just supply and demand."
Did he just call me MA'AM???
"Plus, you'll have to wash the bowl, like, three to four times a week."
Oh, good. More cleaning for me to do. This fish was my idea???
Saved by the bell- Devon called and interrupted just as the salesman was about to close the sale on a pink aquarium and a non-boring fish.
"Honey, the guy says that we have to buy an aquarium with a filter and a temperature regulator-thingy if we want the fish to live longer. A fish won't live very long in a bowl."
Devon's response, "Perfect. Buy the bowl." Gosh, I love that man,
Forty-five minutes and $24.24 later, we left the store with a fish bowl, a Betta fish, fish food, aquarium rocks, an aquarium plant, and water conditioner, but not before first overcoming two unexpected hurdles- gender assignment and literacy. Lucy, of course, wanted a girl fish. No problem, right? Get a fish, call it a girl, problem solved. Turns out that Betta fish are either male or female, and because Joe can read and can't keep his mouth shut, he excitedly exclaimed after we had selected the most beautiful and perfect Betta, "Awesome, Max! Our fish is a boy! We are getting a boy fish!"
Lucy: "Noooooooo! I really want a girl fish!" Tears.
The always-helpful salesman stepped in and said, and I quote, "Males are better. They are more lively and more beautiful and live longer. And females, well, they reproduce, but reproduction is really the only thing they can do, because otherwise they pretty boring."
OMG, we are still talking about fish, right? Because it felt a bit personal. There were so many things wrong with everything that he had just said, beginning with "males are better" and including "reproduction is really the only thing they can do." I should have asked him When was the last time that you reproduced, Sir? And how "lively" is your life, Fish Guy?
Somehow, somehow!, being the amazing, lively, and brilliant reproducing female that I am, I convinced Lucy that though we had selected a male Betta, he truly was the prettiest of them all, and maybe it wouldn't be so bad having a boy if we could pick some nice rocks and a plant for him to enjoy. She chose pink rocks and a pink plant. Electric pink.
Max really wanted to pour the fish into the bowl, but I let Lucy do it, which resulted in this-
Meet Finn.
PS- as it turns out, we all really love Finn :) And Devon and I enjoy asking the kids to check on Finn and see what he is doing. They are always eager to report, "He is just swimming around!"
Perfect!



5 comments:
Gigga Wha? A PET!?
This is big, big news!
So funny because we went to Petsmart about a month ago to get the goldfish prize Elsie had one at her school carinval and had THE EXACT SAME lecture about how fish bowls are basically death traps. Maybe it's part of fish department training?
We didn't get into why males are superior to females though...seriously...who did that guy think he was going to win over that whole commentary?
Anyways, I am happy to report that Fluffity the Fluff is still alive and it's been about 5 weeks and no, we don't wash the bowl 3-4 times a week. BooYaa.
I like Finn and all his girlie accessories. Nice work :o)
The big question is...is the bedtime routine better? Is she sticking too it?
YES! Lucy now goes to bed on her own!! Woohoo!!!
I was schooled a bit about Betta fish, and I learned that their lifespan is 2-3 years, so hopefully Finn will survive for a while :) And Fluffity too!
Love this blog! Have I told you that? You are a very entertaining writer. By the way, if you don't over feed the fish the bowl won't get too scummy and you can probably get away with once or twice a week on the cleaning, using the water conditioner of course. Sorry, I have had large aquariums, both fresh and salt so I could go on and on but that would be really boring.
Lucy looks so happy and I love it that everyone loves Finn. Including me. Max's expression is priceless and Joe in the background calmly eating an apple with a slight smile on his face. Perfect!
By the way Devon had a dog and a guinea pig and a hamster when he was a boy. Oh and three cats. I was making up for not having any pets when I was a kid. Except a cat I was allergic to and it had to get "lost."
What???!!! Where is my comment????
It is M I S S I N G!
ugh!
Okay, I will be back
HI! It's me again! :)
Okay so what I said in my previous comment that never posted was that this post was so funny!!!!! I loved every single second of reading it! I was in tears laughing!!!
So happy for Lucy and most of all you that she has found a great incentive to sleep through the night!
Yes, we were also told that the bowl would lead to certain death! But we have two super non-boring :))) gold fish that have been happy in the bowl for several months!!! GO BOWL! BTW I think it's way easier to clean a little bowl than a whole filter blah blah blah! The great thing is that Kennedy can do it herself! :)
PS another great pet that doesn't totally seem like a pet because it doesn't stink up your house and you can attend to it every other day or so is a bunny! :) Baby steps though right??? :)
Your readers want to know how the 6 a.m. mystery event went! :) I think it's blog worthy for sure!
Post a Comment