July 20, 2009

My Big Fat Mid-Summer Blog

Summer is passing by so quickly! For the most part, I stay home during the week with Joe, Lucy and Max, keeping up on laundry and chores, feedings and naps... and poor Joe is getting a bit bored, but vacation is SOON, so we are hanging on until we can relax in California :) So, here is a photo-recap of our summer activities so far.


The Great Closet Massacre


Remember my messy closet from months and months ago? Well, the mess had gotten so much worse! We truly could not walk into our closet. One day I just took every item out of my closet, piled it all on my bed and my floor (Lucy asked me why I was building a tower), and decided to examine each item before deciding whether to keep or donate. Joe suggested that I just try on every item and only keep what fits. The problem, of course, is that nothing fits :)





This experience of cleaning out my closet was therapeutic for me. I found that most of the clothes taking up so much space did not match my life anymore. How many pairs of black pants do I need now that my "professional" days are temporarily over? How many "great for a day at the beach" skirts do I need now that I don't live in Santa Barbara anymore? How many sparkly halter tops do I need now that I am a married mama rather than a single lady on a dance floor?




10 grocery bags of donations later... job well done!











If you are curious, the Mrs. Timberlake tank-top did not make the cut. Turns out that my name is Mrs. Rantz!


Here is my cheering squad, playing video games and offering opinions on whether to keep the dress that I've had since 1998 or donate (I kept it!).





4th of July/Softball Tournament


I have a love/hate relationship with Devon's softball tournaments. I love the people on his team, I love that he has an athletic outlet, and I love watching him play, but I hate that the only shade is in the dugout, I hate nursing in the dugout, I hate not being able to get lunch all day, I hate being dirty, I hate having to watch the kids like a hawk so that they don't get hit by a foul ball. All that being said, we spent 4th of July weekend at Devon's softball tournament in Everett. Devon's sister Merry came and rescued me and the kids on Saturday and took us to her house for food and swimming, but on Sunday while Devon did this,







Joseph and Lucy did this,


Max did this, and I did this,





This next picture makes me smile. Our kids were sitting in the sliver of shade in the dugout, and they were so bored, hungry and tired, and this picture shows it! Oh, if you can't find Lucy, she is behind sunglasses, band-aids and Max's binky :)











The team took 2nd place!







Lucy Update


There is never a dull moment with Lucy. Actually, there is never a moment without Lucy, since this child rarely sleeps!



I tease that she is having an identity crisis because one minute she will be in Max's swing sucking on a binky,










and the very next minute she will be asking for her "hole glasses" (sunglasses without the shades in them) so that she can be like Joe (Joe just started wearing prescription glasses).She is becoming a great big sis', and she loves it when Max smiles at her.






Lover Boy





Could you say no to this face?


Me neither!


Could you kiss all over this face?




Me too!




Date Night


Devon and I went to a Mariner's game a couple of weeks ago, and I was super excited because


1) Devon had been out of town all week and I was really looking forward to spending time with him.


2) It was a Friday night and I was feeling pretty frisky getting out of the house on a Friday night!


3) There was a really cool give-away at the ball-park.


4) Grandma stayed with Joe and Lucy so we only had Max, and it is fun to be out with only the baby (he is so easy to please!).


The date was a bust because Devon was tired and had a sore throat, and he barely spoke, and Max slept most of the game, so it was kind of like I was there by myself. And the give-aways were all gone long before we even arrived. But at least I got out of the house, the M's won, we had great seats, and we got some cute pics of Max at the game!









Class of '89!


Devon and I just went to his 20 year high school reunion, and it was quite an experience! Remember Devon's high school photo? The rock star hair? Well, I lost count of how many times I heard, "OH MY GOSH! DEVON RANTZ! YOUR HAIR IS GONE!"



The reunion was basically like a wedding reception. It was nice to be out with Devon, to leave Max with Grandma, and to meet some of Dev's high school peers.


At the end of the night, Devon asked me if I had learned anything new about him. I had learned that his hair was SUPER important to him. He took pride in his hair style and vowed to many that he would never, ever cut off his long locks. I also learned that he was nice to everyone and had friends in nearly every clique, not just the rockers :) But I guess that I already knew that he was nice!





Fun in the Sun



It was warm here last weekend, so we spent a day at my friend Mary Beth's pool.


Lucy is a girl who knows how to chill-out!





Joe couldn't resist taking a picture of Dev while he napped in the sun



Breast feeding in public- it is inevitable.
I love this pic of the brothers :)



Joe took this of Max's feet while I was nursing him





He laughs at all of my jokes! I think he is my biggest fan :)





Okay, that just about brings the blog up to date! Hopefully it won't be so long before my next update!

4 comments:

Just Me said...

I love the pic of Max laughing. What a lover boy he is!
Love Lucy on the floater in the pool and Max and Joe. I did think after I left Friday night that I wish I had got a pic of you and Dev before you left for the party but you did get one.
Have fun in California....I will miss all of you!

comfy cozy said...

Nice recap, Annie! Let's start first with your closet and how you've inspired me! I too just can't seem to part with so many things that I haven't worn in years! Most of them just don't fit right anymore and I keep hoping that someday I'll wake up with my pre-baby body!

You're a trooper for the softball spirit! I agree with your whole list of reasons why it's a little rough, especially the nursing part. But I'm jealous that at least you are still nursing, if that helps any! :)

Oh, the woes of a middle child. I can so relate to Lucy's dilemna! Sometimes you just want to be big and sometimes you just want to be little! She seems to be adjusting rather well though to Lover Boy. He is so precious, Annie! You must nibble those cheeks several times a day!

I'm glad you had a date night, something we must do soon. And the reunion recap is awesome! You looked smokin' by the way so I'm sure Devon was one proud man that evening!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Woa!!! Annie you weren't kidding :) this is a big fat summer blog!!! Your readers so appreciate you getting caught up! Lover boy is just scrumptious and Lucy's identity crisis just adds to her appeal!! I love the pictures of her both in the swing and lounging on the pool floatie complete with her shades! All she needed was a blended child friendly beverage!!! I love Joe's new glasses...is he growing up before your very eyes or what?! He just looks so old!

It looks like you have been having tons of fun!!! NOw that you are a blogger again, I expect many more pics and posts to come!

Especially since you are on Vacation in California!! Woohoo! See you soon!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Gosh, what a great Big Fat Blog! I love all of the pictures and all of the great stories that go with each of them!

I thought for sure the "Mrs Timberlake" tanktop would stay...you are really mature my friend! And, I am dying to know what dress from 1998 stayed...I so wish I could have been there to "shop" I do l-o-v-e your hand-me-downs! I still have a couple treasures from college that I circulate :o)

On to softball - I too have a love/hate relationship with the sport and my hubby. You are are a WAY better wifey than I! A tournament with 3 kids?! Are you kidding? I can't even make a game, with 2 kids...not nursing!

Lucy is a crack up - I think the sunglasses are too funny and I'm thinking there's no identity crisis, just a great sense of humor. She's kind of a quiet jokester...just making sure you are paying attention!

Joe does look handsome in his new glasses - so grown up!

Lover Boy is really so cute! I can't believe how big he is getting and I LOVE that picture of him laughing. You are funny, I am sure he cracks up all day long!

I know you are in Cali right now...I hope it's AWESOME and you have a super great time!